Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Get ready to turn up the heat as we dive into August. While there are only a few weeks left to perfect those tailgate recipes, summer isn’t over yet! Two things we’ll be making this month are Chile Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops and Bell Pepper Kabobs. Then, relax after a cookout with a cool dessert cooked on your EGG - Ice Cream Sandwiches! You can mix and match your favorite cookie flavors with ice cream flavors. Simple, yet delicious!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Wings and stuffed jalapeños?

This is my second time cooking on my BGE and was wondering if I can cook wings and stuffed jalapeños at the same time? Also if I can should I use direct or indirect heat? I have read to cook wings at 375 indirect for one hour. Thanks Tim.
Large Egg, Warner Robins,Ga

Comments

• yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    I have one of the little stands for jalapenos, and when I'm cooking direct I just put foil or something underneath the pepper tray. I do it mostly for keeping some of the smaller peppers from dropping through, but it helps keep them from getting too charred.
    Dunedin, FL
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,902
    Either way would work, but I would just go indirect for both of them.  Are you wrapping the peppers in bacon?  If so- then I think 350-375 for about an hour sounds good.  Pull 'em off once the bacon is crispy.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Timbo66Timbo66 Posts: 109
    Thanks alot.
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,715
    Another vote for indirect.  I have gone both ways (if going direct, then go with a raised grid, about as high in the dome as you can go to get some distance between the lump and food) and find that the bacon wraped Jalas (ABT's) turn out better with less effort going indirect. FWIW-
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • DMWDMW Posts: 7,095
    I have done ABT's along with chicken raised direct. Chicken on the raised grid, pepper rack on the raised grid as well. This gets them up pretty high in the dome and away from the fire. However, these did char on the bottom a bit more that I wanted, so I usually go indirect.
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    Thanks for the help. This may sound dumb but what does ABT's stand for?
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,462
    A brilliant thing, not really! Atomic buffalo turd. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • They're good both ways. I've had better luck with indirect with the wings. A little more forgiving and they crisp up nice, too. Here's a pic of some ABTs ready for the egg.
    image.jpg 947.8K
    They look great. How do you cook them? Temp, direct or indirect heat?
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,860
    I am in the raised direct camp. I will do wing and ABTs at 400ish raised to felt line. I don't fill the lump up very high so I have good distance between fire and food. I have a popper holder that I have used 1 time for ABT's now I just go to the grid with them.

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
  • I usually do indirect with drip pan (bacon grease causes flare ups) at 350 with 3-4 hickory chunks.
    I just took off my abts and a few fell off the popper holder. How do I raise my grate to the felt line?
  • I used bricks until I got an adjustable rig. Best accessory made. Gives you lots of cooking options.
    You can buy a a Weber Grid from Lowes with 3 or 4 - 5" bolts and very cheaply raise to felt line. If you have a PS this method can also give you 2 levels of cooking

I seen some posts of people mentioning there plate setter legs up. What's the difference? I have the PS but it is still shy of the felt ring. What is that in the center of your grate mattman3969?
    That's just the daisy cap. I keep it in the egg when not in use. On the PS if you go legs up it helps protect your pretty white gasket(just saw your other post) by not direct the heat directly on the gasket Legs up also gives you a place to put the drip pan.