Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings and stuffed jalapeños?

Options
This is my second time cooking on my BGE and was wondering if I can cook wings and stuffed jalapeños at the same time? Also if I can should I use direct or indirect heat? I have read to cook wings at 375 indirect for one hour. Thanks Tim.
Large Egg, Warner Robins,Ga

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I have one of the little stands for jalapenos, and when I'm cooking direct I just put foil or something underneath the pepper tray. I do it mostly for keeping some of the smaller peppers from dropping through, but it helps keep them from getting too charred.
    Dunedin, FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Either way would work, but I would just go indirect for both of them.  Are you wrapping the peppers in bacon?  If so- then I think 350-375 for about an hour sounds good.  Pull 'em off once the bacon is crispy.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Timbo66
    Timbo66 Posts: 109
    Options
    Thanks alot.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Another vote for indirect.  I have gone both ways (if going direct, then go with a raised grid, about as high in the dome as you can go to get some distance between the lump and food) and find that the bacon wraped Jalas (ABT's) turn out better with less effort going indirect. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I have done ABT's along with chicken raised direct. Chicken on the raised grid, pepper rack on the raised grid as well. This gets them up pretty high in the dome and away from the fire. However, these did char on the bottom a bit more that I wanted, so I usually go indirect.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Timbo66
    Options
    Thanks for the help. This may sound dumb but what does ABT's stand for?
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    A brilliant thing, not really! Atomic buffalo turd. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Schlosser
    Options
    They're good both ways. I've had better luck with indirect with the wings. A little more forgiving and they crisp up nice, too. Here's a pic of some ABTs ready for the egg.
  • Timbo66
    Options
    They look great. How do you cook them? Temp, direct or indirect heat?
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I am in the raised direct camp. I will do wing and ABTs at 400ish raised to felt line. I don't fill the lump up very high so I have good distance between fire and food. I have a popper holder that I have used 1 time for ABT's now I just go to the grid with them.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Schlosser
    Options
    I usually do indirect with drip pan (bacon grease causes flare ups) at 350 with 3-4 hickory chunks.
  • Timbo66
    Options
    I just took off my abts and a few fell off the popper holder. How do I raise my grate to the felt line?
  • Schlosser
    Options
    I used bricks until I got an adjustable rig. Best accessory made. Gives you lots of cooking options.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    You can buy a a Weber Grid from Lowes with 3 or 4 - 5" bolts and very cheaply raise to felt line. If you have a PS this method can also give you 2 levels of cooking

analyze adapt overcome

• Timbo66
    Options
    I seen some posts of people mentioning there plate setter legs up. What's the difference? I have the PS but it is still shy of the felt ring. What is that in the center of your grate mattman3969?
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    That's just the daisy cap. I keep it in the egg when not in use. On the PS if you go legs up it helps protect your pretty white gasket(just saw your other post) by not direct the heat directly on the gasket Legs up also gives you a place to put the drip pan.

analyze adapt overcome