Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE or Primo XL

Comments

• Customer service!!! The BGE kicks ass. I emailed BGE just after Christmas asking how to get a few of the screw studs utilized in the bands and had a postive response reply within the hour and a full accessory packet in my mailbox within three days. I do not know much about Primo but they won't match BGE support.
  • buckhall
    buckhall Posts: 20
    edited January 2014

Good discussion. I have an XL and a Large Egg...If I only had one, I'd get the large.  It's ample enough for almost every cook.  It's nice to have two so that I can cook at different temps, but the XL is a beast.  As for bge v. primo, both are fine grills...minor differences...so I look at decisions like this as I would a car company or other consumer product. Who's the market leader, who has the best network etc.  Easy decision for me, but you'll be fine either way. 

Buck Hall

www.facebook.com/pensacolaeggfest

www.pensacolaeggfest.com

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited January 2014
    You've heard everything else and have most of the facts.  I'm going to go a different direction.

The people...the people is the reason you want to be an egghead.  Get yourself to a fest and meet some members of our huge community.  Guarantee you'll make some friends for life and taste some amazing food.

I have high hopes that you'll make the right decision, so I'm just going to welcome ya now.

Welcome to our world @dhoten !!  You're already starting to look like an egghead to me!   :D
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    dhoten said:

I love my XL and purchased the L Bracket fire box divider from CGW and it works perfect to do both direct and indirect at the same time. I can't speak for the primo but I do LOVE my BGE.

Chuck

What is this CGW divider, this could sway the decision?

Dimondale Michigan

www.chuckkingcomedy.com

It's a 2 piece L Bracket that splits the fire box in half, I use it to do both direct and indirect and also use it to do smaller cooks, it works great. 
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • NJ_BBQ
    NJ_BBQ Posts: 137

I had considered the Primo as well but when doing my research I read too many reviews of it cracking and very poor response from the company. If you go through this forum you will see many examples of great response by BGE and by BGE dealers.

I went with the XL and love it.

Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Looks like you got 35 comments to your inquiry on the big green egg forum in about 8 hours and about 10 on the primo forum in the same amount of time.  Just gives you some idea of the size and friendliness of this forum.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    If you're cooking mainly for 2 with the occasional large cook..get the large. I can cook over 30 lbs of butts, Ftc and throw ribs on. Someone mentioned community. Reading an article the other day the reviewer mentioned that. Come To Salado TX in March, meet some Eggers and get a great deal on a large bge.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Have you actually looked at both in person?  The XL BGE is nice...but it's also $$$.

Coming from your offset smoker, I think you might be in for a bit of a shock at the limited space for things like ribs in a BGE.  i.e. just to be able to do ribs in the BGE, figure on spending a little extra for the plate setter, and then either a little more extra for some kind of rib rack, or a lot extra for something like the above pictured CGS Adjustable Rig and related accessories.

I suspect with your offset, if you wanted to do 3 slabs of ribs, you'd probably just lay them out on the cooking grid(s) and have room for more.
  • henapple
    3?
  • cazzy
    njl said:

Have you actually looked at both in person?  The XL BGE is nice...but it's also $$$.

Coming from your offset smoker, I think you might be in for a bit of a shock at the limited space for things like ribs in a BGE.  i.e. just to be able to do ribs in the BGE, figure on spending a little extra for the plate setter, and then either a little more extra for some kind of rib rack, or a lot extra for something like the above pictured CGS Adjustable Rig and related accessories.

I suspect with your offset, if you wanted to do 3 slabs of ribs, you'd probably just lay them out on the cooking grid(s) and have room for more.

Yes. We spend money on accessories...but that's because this becomes a hobby and a damn near obsession for most of us. I look at it as I can pretty much prepare food better than most restaurants in my area. That definitely saves me money, especially since those $300 steak nights are now less than $50 with equivilent or better results. Just like the primo, this is far more versatile than a offset. It took some time, but i had no idea how many darn things I can make on my egg.

Let's not get twisted either...Most peeps who are looking to drop a grand on a BBQ pit are likely not broke.
  • cazzy
    @njl oh, if I could fit 2 full racks on my small, I suspect I could fit much more on a XL. :D
  • henapple
    Grill, fry, stews and soups, pizzas, bread, cold smoked cheese, jerky.. I'm sure either one will be ok. Every other company says...it's just like a Big Green Egg.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited January 2014
    Foghorn said:

Since purchasing it I have discovered that it is big enough to do two zone cooking without any gadgets.  I just build a small fire in the back and cook direct and still have plenty of room to put other food in the front that gets cooked indirect.  You can probably get better temperature distinction if you use the brackets from the Ceramic Grill Store and I may go that route eventually.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/anglebrackets.html

I haven't used the Primo, having come from a weber kettle, so I'll make just just two points. 

For split cooking, what Foghorn described is what I do.  I did this on my Weber kettle too.  You can also use a half moon ceramic stone to get a perfect direct and indirect balance:
    http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/19-half-round-ceramic-stone-9-5x19-xl/

The egg is very versatile. When you add in the toys, it is amazing how much you can cook and how you can cook.  Since I got my egg, I only use my gasser to light the chimney of charcoal.

Good luck in your decision.  Hope to see you back as an egghead.  :)

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Go to an Eggfest, ask questions of those who are using the egg.  Buy one of the used eggs from the fest, which has the full lifetime warranty, to save a few bucks. The lifetime warranty and accessories was the deal breaker for me.  I got a large, always wished I would have gotten the XL.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • I have both. If I had to get rid of one I'd have to keep the other.
  • COMMUNITY!!! this is the main reason I bought the BGE with this community and advice of so many as quick as you need it.
    ACCESSORIES..... This is another major factor and have to say that the world of accessories is pretty slim for Primo compared to BGE and that makes a difference for extra racks, veggie trays, tools, carts and so on. 
    Warranty.... I dont think the limited warranty vs lifetime was as important as the above but it still is a factor...
    MADE in USA....... I have my own beliefs on this but keep them to myself. 
    CUSTOMER SERVICE....After reading stories about various issues with each brand and seeing the response from the companies and dealers, I decided to go with BGE... 

just my .02 but good luck on your choice. I will say that several members on here have both primo and bge and they all rave about them both and you cant go wrong i dont think. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I have often talked up the wonderful traits and business ethics of my BGE dealer so you know I'm partial. The PRIMO rep came through our city and tried to entice my dealer to become a dual rep and left behind a free large PRIMO for him to sell and keep 100% of the profit! That PRIMO sat on his showroom floor unsold for nearly 2 years. My dealer then decided to use that "gift" to demonstrate the difference between a BGE and a PRIMO. Eventually he just dumped the PRIMO! Seeing and feeling is NOT overrated in sales!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I was also looking at both but in the end I went with the XL BGE because:

1.  The XL was about $300 cheaper than the PRIMO.
    2.  I had a hard time finding the PRIMO.  The store in the city that I work in stopped carrying the PRIMO brand due to a lack of sales.  I wondered about future warranty support from a dealer.

I am really glad I got the XL.  The space is amazing and the warranty is top notch.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• queued
    queued Posts: 50
    My 2 cents worth....  both make a good product, and you will likely be happy with either.  I, obviously, bought a BGE and I've been very happy with my decision.  A big part of my choice was the dealer network, which is much better with BGE than Primo (at least anywhere near where I live).  I also like the large number of accessories that are available for the BGE vs. a Primo, which relies mostly on stock accessories.  The flexibility provided by a BGE with the 3rd party accessories is really impressive, and you will be able to cook as much or more on a BGE as the next "size" up on a Primo grill.  Of course, I've yet to mention the better warranty, the more involved community, and the many eggfests available.  

When combined, I found the BGE to not only be the better product but the better value.  I can understand if you don't come to the same conclusion, and I'm sure you will cook some great meals on a Primo if you don't.
    Raleigh, NC
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    I purchased my Large BGE back in 1999/2000. It is still going strong with no problems. I am about to replace the original gasket with RRP's Rutland product.

Whatever you decide to purchase, base it on the following recommendations:
    Quality of Product
    Reliability / Warranty
    Customer Service
    Accessories
    Anticipated Personal Satisfaction

Good Luck!
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• When I was deciding between the two a couple years ago, it came down to an original, vs. a clone, and I appreciate products with long histories and the support they can offer.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Get the PRIMO ... that way there will be at least 1 person on this site that I got a fighting chance to maybe out cook someday :D
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    henapple said:
    3?
    Will those actually cook?  It looks like a giant rib sandwich.
  • dhoten
    dhoten Posts: 7
    Wow!  Blown away by the amount and detail of replies!  Thank you all for the insight, and I think dlk7 may be working for the NSA!
    1911 is Faster than 911

• Did anyone mention the BGE groupies?  

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• cazzy
    dhoten said:
    Wow!  Blown away by the amount and detail of replies!  Thank you all for the insight, and I think dlk7 may be working for the NSA!
    That's what we do brother, we blow away the competition!   :P
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Don't count out the Kamado "Big Joe" 24"...Built very well and the stand and bands are real nice.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

BGE XL has 452 square inches of primary grid space VS the oval's 398.  With the adjustable rig you can exceed the oval's secondary space as well.  I do like the look of their new Jack Daniel's oval though.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• dhoten
    dhoten Posts: 7
    Photo Egg said:

Don't count out the Kamado "Big Joe" 24"...Built very well and the stand and bands are real nice.

Do you know how close to the heat source you can get on the Big Joe to sear steaks? The grate seems to sit very high up on the grill.
    1911 is Faster than 911