Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Got a salt plate for xmas, what should i cook?

I never even knew these existed until santa brought me one!  Can I use it on the egg?  What should I cook on it?

Comments

• CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,676
    I have one, and sadly have not used it yet.  My first cook will be scallops though.  I have read that they are outstanding grilled on the salt plate.  Shrimp should be similar
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • jls9595jls9595 Posts: 1,525
    I never heard of this. More info please, I'm intrigued
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 8,128

Nice toy for great food and wow factor for guest.  I have done steaks, beef and pork, scallops, shrimps and a few others I forget. 
    Here are some thoughts:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=view&catid=1&id=1348021#1348021

• WhalerWhaler Posts: 110
    Santa brought me one also. I went straight to google
    and found the Scallop and Asparagus recipe. Absolutely Fabulous.
    Only a small amount of the salt imparted into the food and it is 
    very easy to clean afterward.
    Pensacola,FL
  • stlcharcoalstlcharcoal Posts: 2,172

Scallops.......Everything else I have tried hasn't been as good as it is straight over fire.

I did some filets on a normal sear, then finished them on their sides on the salt plate.  That was pretty good.

Just don't put anything on it that loses a lot of liquid or fat (e.g. burgers.)  It sucks a lot of the salt up into the meat.

• HicHic Posts: 350

I'd probably do shrimp or scallops on it.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.