Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal Choices and where to buy in Atlanta area

Options
So, what charcoal and where to buy in the Atlanta area?  So far I have used BGE, which works fine, and tried Royal Oak, which for some reason seemed to run hot?  I had vents about closed and couldn't get egg lower than 300* and with BGE charcoal had no problem getting temp lower.  Of course there could have been some other environmentals at work.
Gregg
Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
Marietta, GA

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

We have about 20 Ace Hardware stores in the ATL metro area stocking Rockwood......in about a month, any of them will be able to order it from the Gainesville warehouse.

If you go to our website and click "where to buy", it should show the closest stocking store.  I would call ahead though, their supply is running low and we're prepping another truckload. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Hopefully the prices on Rockwood go down in GA once the distribution is set up. The ace closest to my house said $26.99 a bag. Its cheaper to get it delivered from firecraft.
  • Hogman348
    Options
    I have had good experiences with Royal Oak and its the supposed to be the same a BGE. Home Deport has started to carry it now as well. 22lb for $13. thats going to be tough to beat anywhere.
    Woodstock, GA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

First, BGE is Royal Oak, just cheaper. @stlcharcoal offers a good product from what I have heard on here but have never tried it. I have been very happy with Nature Glo from my meat market or grab B&B from WM if in a pinch. Oh, and I am in SC.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options

We have about 20 Ace Hardware stores in the ATL metro area stocking Rockwood......in about a month, any of them will be able to order it from the Gainesville warehouse.

If you go to our website and click "where to buy", it should show the closest stocking store.  I would call ahead though, their supply is running low and we're prepping another truckload. 

Morgan's in Woodstock is a 5 minute drive from here, so I can hit that and will try the Rockwood when the stuff I have runs out.  Thanks!
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    So, does anybody know if Royal Oak does burn hotter than BGE charcoal?  Still wondering about that.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I always thought RO and BGE was the same stuff. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Well that's right it was said BGE and Royal Oak the same, so maybe just something odd with environmentals yesterday.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    Options
    The only difference I've noticed with RO and BGE is BGE has larger chunks. I have about 6 of each in the garage right now.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

RO makes the BGE brand lump, but I also have heard that BGE bags get bigger pieces in the bag. But the BGE lump is also more expensive.

If you can get Rockwood in your 'hood then definitely try it out. Don't worry if you see smaller pieces than what you usually find in other brands - it burns great.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I am also in Woodstock.  I usually just buy lump at Kroger.  Rumor has it is also Royal Oak.  RO at Home Depot in our area is $13 for a 17.6 lb bag.  I think it is a little cheaper at Kroger- like 5.99 for an 8.8 lb bag.  

I haven't checked Morgan's yet for Rockwood but if it is $26 per bag that is a little steep IMO.  Hopefully it comes down.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• stlcharcoal
    Options

Make sure you call Morgan first, it's been a while.  Same goes for the next closest, East Cobb.

Hopefully I'll be in the system in a next few weeks, and they'll be able to reorder.  I do not have any input or knowledge of what the store price will be.  They're all franchises and mark it what they want.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    When Wicked Good was sold at Ace stores, you could use Ace discounts to order online and have it delivered to your local store, provided that Rockwood is listed on their website with a catalog number. I don't know if that is what @stlcharcoal means by being "in the system" i.e. having a catalog number which can be searched for on the main Ace website. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    caliking said:
    When Wicked Good was sold at Ace stores, you could use Ace discounts to order online and have it delivered to your local store, provided that Rockwood is listed on their website with a catalog number. I don't know if that is what @stlcharcoal means by being "in the system" i.e. having a catalog number which can be searched for on the main Ace website. 
    Not sure.....we'll see.  I'm only going to be a vendor in the SE Region for now.  I want to see how that goes before I open up the floodgates. 
  • drummerben
    Options

Just for reference, Intown Ace (Va-Highland) has Rockwood for $21.98 a bag compared to BGE at $24.98. Not sure the difference in bag size/weight??

I'm running low on BGE lump, so will be looking to try the Rockwood pretty soon.

LBGE Atlanta, GA  Ramblin' Wreck

• DoofusOfTheDay
    Options

Just for reference, Intown Ace (Va-Highland) has Rockwood for $21.98 a bag compared to BGE at $24.98. Not sure the difference in bag size/weight??

I'm running low on BGE lump, so will be looking to try the Rockwood pretty soon.

That's a bit of a drive for me, but would be curious what the cost is if you go.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • stlcharcoal
    Options

Our bags in ATL are 20#.  A few stores in STL have the new 10# bags.

A lot of charcoal companies are going to 4-kg (8.8#) and 8-kg (17.6#) bags.  There is 12% less charcoal in the bag, so it's $1.50-2.50 cheaper than its 10-20# competitor on the same shelf.  Read the label and do the math to see where the value is. 

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    I would give Rockwood a try. I get mine at the East Cobb Ace store. Great lump for $20.99 a bag.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    tulocay said:
    I would give Rockwood a try. I get mine at the East Cobb Ace store. Great lump for $20.99 a bag.
    That's not too far either for me.  Thanks!
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    So, does anybody know if Royal Oak does burn hotter than BGE charcoal?  Still wondering about that.
    Same stuff.  Check probe accuracy and for leaks.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.