Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE or Primo XL

Hello everyone and Happy New Year!  I am new to the BGE Forum and joined to get some information before making a purchase.  Full disclosure, I’ve joined both the BGE and Primo forums since those are the two ceramics I am considering.  

One day I lean toward the BGE, the next, Primo XL Oval, what to do?  Here’s my situation:

I’ve been doing BBQ on a offset Oklahoma Joe for about 10 years and get very good results with Brisket, Pork Ribs, and Pork Shoulder.  I use a Weber gas grill for everyday use for steaks, chicken etc., mainly due to fast heat up time.  Ideally I would like to replace both with one ceramic type grill.

I have been considering the Egg for sometime now and this year for Christmas my neighbor got the BGE XL and it’s impressive!  Not to run out and “get what the Jones’ have”, I started looking on the web for other ceramics, Kamado Joe, Grill Dome, Saffire, things of that sort.  In the end, the discussion always comes down to the EGG and the Primo XL Oval.

Primarily I just cook for two, but on occasion I do large BBQ cooks for several so the XL in either is a given I think.  I’ve read things about both I like and dislike and hence the purpose of this discussion.

From what I’ve read, both are similar in heat retention and temperature control.

Primo:

• ·      Like the oval shape
  • ·      Made in the USA
  • ·      Split fire box capability
  • ·      Not sure about availability of accessories (3rd party if that’s even a real issue)
  • ·      Single piece fire box seem to crack
  • ·      Porcelain grate has pluses and minuses

BGE:

• ·      Been on market much longer
  • ·      Accessories
  • ·      Warranty is life vs. 20 years
  • ·      Two-piece fire box
  • ·      Construction of the frame seems more robust
  • ·      Perceived weight of lid is less during opening

Help is appreciated! 

Dave

1911 is Faster than 911

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Uhhh... Hmmm... Since this is a BGE forum, I would suspect that the majority will vote BGE, including myself.  JMO. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Accessories is MAJOR factor. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Plus anyone doing the input you did on the opening likes toys.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited January 2014
    Both are great choices. I don't own a Primo but I do like some of the options that aren't offered with the egg like the split firebox. The reason why I went with the egg was the lifetime warranty. I'm hoping to be around for the next 50+ years egging so I couldn't pass up the lifetime warranty on ceramics. Lots of accessories also available with the egg. Wouldn't mind owning a Primo one day myself.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    edited January 2014
    For me it came down to accessories and the BGE community. I haven't been over to the Primo forums in a while but it seemed like it wasn't as active as the 2 BGE forums.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710

Consider price, warranty and accessories. I wouldn't rule out used. (no warranty but a whole lot cheaper)

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• dhoten I think you answered your own question look at the pros and cons  that by it self should tell you your answer  I have 2 LBGE and just love them as far as the company goes that are a very consumer friendly company and they stand behind their product with out question all they want to see is photo proof of a broken part and they replace it just like that at least thats been my experience 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • hrchdog
    hrchdog Posts: 40
    XL BGE DigiQ DX2 and Rockwood Charcoal an unbeatable combination as far as I'm concerned.
    Herrin,IL.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    In my particular case it boiled down to having a dealer within reasonable distance.  BGE has an extensive network in Iowa, Primo does not.  Also the accessories available for BGE whether OEM or after market is much larger for BGE.  You did not state where you lived so these may not be considerations that affect you.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600

I love my XL and purchased the L Bracket fire box divider from CGW and it works perfect to do both direct and indirect at the same time. I can't speak for the primo but I do LOVE my BGE.

Chuck

Dimondale Michigan

www.chuckkingcomedy.com

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I would buy the BGE, and if not, a Kamado Joe. I am very impressed with those and they are less expensive than both BGE and Primo. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    both are good choices as long as theres a few dealers in the area. when you say large bbq for several, the large bge will easily do 30 something pounds of butt so depending on your needs, maybe 2 eggs, large and small or large and mini for the times your just cooking for 2. definatly look at the adjustable rig that was mentioned, its the best first upgrade to a ceramic out there
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    I went through the same process a couple years ago.  I wound up buying an XL BGE because I wanted to do business locally and that was what the man carried.  If he had Primo I probably would have done that.  

In hindsight, the XL is absolutely massive.  I have not even come close to using the whole grid. While any ceramic cooker will help keep even heat inside, I think the round shape is better at it - particularly for high heat applications. Just think about the visual for airflow.

If i were to do it again, I would buy a large with an AR and a mini.  From chicken to ribs, some guys on here have turned out some amazing stuff on minis.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited January 2014
    I have read some negative reviews regarding customer service and support on the Primo.  I have not heard anything negative on the BGE - only great commentary.  One Primo reviewer had a negative post which they said was removed from their forum - not good.   I would go with the BGE for that reason.  I never heard of anyone who was sorry for buying a BGE.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    The lifetime warranty is what I liked more than anything. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • I looked at several and ultimately landed on the large BGE.  I have enjoyed the availability of information and accessories.  If you are cooking for two - my recommendation is get the large first.  It is more than adequate for two plus many more.  Plan on spending the initial cash outlay again on accessories. (that's most likely the case with either brand )  

Good luck on your decision.
    Alan in LA (Lower Alabama that is)
    "If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!" 
  • dhoten
    dhoten Posts: 7

I love my XL and purchased the L Bracket fire box divider from CGW and it works perfect to do both direct and indirect at the same time. I can't speak for the primo but I do LOVE my BGE.

Chuck

What is this CGW divider, this could sway the decision?

Dimondale Michigan

www.chuckkingcomedy.com

1911 is Faster than 911

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

I have 2 BGE XLs and absolutely love them.  With a 24 inch grid area and all the accessories from the ceramic grill store I can do direct and indirect at the same time, direct raised and indirect at the same time, etc. etc..  I can do over 50 pounds of boston butt on the BGE XL. 

AND we have some of he greatest forum members in the world!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• dhoten
    Alphonse said:
    I looked at several and ultimately landed on the large BGE.  I have enjoyed the availability of information and accessories.  If you are cooking for two - my recommendation is get the large first.  It is more than adequate for two plus many more.  Plan on spending the initial cash outlay again on accessories. (that's most likely the case with either brand )  

I also live in LA (Milton, FL)
    1911 is Faster than 911

• A local dealer with a great reputation and the BGE lifetime warranty sold me.  The closest Primo dealer according to their website was a barber shop 45 miles away.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• dhoten
    Uhhh... Hmmm... Since this is a BGE forum, I would suspect that the majority will vote BGE, including myself.  JMO. 
    Yes Matt, this is a BGE forum but what better place to get an idea if people are satisfied with their purchase and/or had any regrets.  I myself have made a large purchase in the past and afterwords had some issues that I wish I had known about.  Simple as that.

Dave
    1911 is Faster than 911

• Just curious, why aren't you considering a Kamado Joe?  From what I've seen, their XL version compares very favorably to the BGE.
  • dhoten
    Market place mainly. Seems more use the BGE or the Primo.
    1911 is Faster than 911

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    About the only true downside to BGE I have ever heard is the price.  If you pick a demo up or one from an Eggfest that will ease that blow.  Accessories offered by several companies can get you direct/indirect cooking capability or cover just about any other need you can conjure.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • shadowcaster
    shadowcaster Posts: 620
    edited January 2014
    I'm sure the Primos are nice but after owning 2 BGE (Large and a Medium) I wouldn't recommend or buy anything else!
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I have a large egg, and I recently was tasked with selling 3 primo ovals for a friend to raise money for adoption. I have to say that I really liked the oval design of the primo. Seems to make sense to me, and you get a little more real estate with the primo I believe. The walls are 1/4 thinner than the egg, but the quality was really good. I would buy one used if I found a great deal on it, but buying new, I'd have to go with the egg for the lifetime warranty in and of itself. For paying about the same price I'll go with the egg, but there's only one place by me that sells primos and the accessories are pretty important to me as well.

Summary: New -> Egg, Used with a really good deal -> either.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794

I also considered the Primo and was attracted by the built-in ability to have two cooking zones.  I ended up going with the XL BGE for some of the reasons listed above - know and trust the local dealer, a friend has one and loves it, etc.

Since purchasing it I have discovered that it is big enough to do two zone cooking without any gadgets.  I just build a small fire in the back and cook direct and still have plenty of room to put other food in the front that gets cooked indirect.  You can probably get better temperature distinction if you use the brackets from the Ceramic Grill Store and I may go that route eventually.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/anglebrackets.html

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dhoten said:
    Alphonse said:

Great location!  There is an excellent BGE dealer in Pace, FL that is easy to work with if you haven't if you haven't found them yet.  I have also seen some used ones available recently on Craigslist as I have been looking for a used Mini.
    Alan in LA (Lower Alabama that is)
    "If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!" 
  • Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    dhoten said:
    Alphonse said:
    I looked at several and ultimately landed on the large BGE.  I have enjoyed the availability of information and accessories.  If you are cooking for two - my recommendation is get the large first.  It is more than adequate for two plus many more.  Plan on spending the initial cash outlay again on accessories. (that's most likely the case with either brand )  

My Business is in Milton,FL and I live in Pcola
    Pensacola,FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Bought my BGE at local Hagan Ace Hardware. If an issue should ever arrise I feel confident it would get a swift & fair resolution. IE: purchased an aaccessory & some lump (yes lump) I was not too satisfied and they refunded me (after heavy use on one product and the lump was replaced---w/ no hassles). My egg has performed flawlessly during all my slow-n-lows, baking, high temp pizza baking, etc. There are a ton of add-on accessories available. IMHO BGE wins hands down. Good luck on your decision. Hope to see ya on our forum. :-D
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL