Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear - Giving it a go tonight - some questions

Options
Haven't gotten steaks yet, but was planning on a couple ribeyes.  Anyhoo, my plan was about 250* indirect for the first part, with a little olive oil and a little montreal seasoning on the steaks.  We like our steaks medium, so was thinking about taking internal temps to about 125*, resting in foil while removing PS and cranking heat to 600 and direct searing a minute or so on each side.  

How long would it take, if I had say 1.5" ribeye to get to 125* internal at my 250* indirect?

Any advice or critique of my plan is welcome.

Gregg
Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
Marietta, GA

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Your plan sounds good. Personally, I'd pass on the olive oil. It will burn during the sear. You can add some wood for smoke. It takes maybe 20-30min at 250 so it will take a little smoke. If you have oak, use it. Pairs really well with a Cabernet or Rioja/Malbec.

This is my favorite way to do it.
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    We use olive oil before the indirect part of the cook and they turn out great.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    EVOO is a flavor oil, good news is it helps the rub stick to the meat, bad news is it will burn during the sear. Fact, everything but salt will pretty much burn during the sear. YOu really don't need it. 
    Agree with 'Cellsior 20-30 minutes will do the low part of the cook. If your rested steaks have a lot of surface moisture on them, dry with a paper towel to speed the Maillard reaction and avoid overcooking. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Hmm, okay so might have to skip the montreal seasoning too and just throw some sea salt on the steaks instead?
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Once you try the reverse on the egg you won't do steaks any other way. Try brushing some garlic butter on just before the sear puts a tasty crust on.
    Brampton, Ontario

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Mouth is watering, enjoy it.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Mouth is watering, enjoy it.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Well NY strips are on, 250* and now I wait.  Wifey didn't see decent ribeyes so went with NY strips instead when she was at store.  

I must say my homemade fire starter is continuing to impress me and although I would like to maybe get a heat gun and try that method for starting coals, this low tech method is proving to work quite well.  My chimney starter(big old coffee can) simple design and a pic of it in action!
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Schlosser
    Options
    Reverse sear is the way to go. My favorite is dizzy pig's red eye express and mesquite wood chips for smoke. Really like the smoke flavor it takes on with RS. Enjoy!
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Well about 40 minutes in, bumped it up to 300* from 250* as it really seems to be taking a while, the steaks are about an inch thick, and temp is 115 in some spots.  So will check again in 5.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Well, I'd say I had pretty good success.  I probably should have pulled and foiled steak when it got to internal 120*, instead of 125*  I seared 2 minutes per side, maybe should go a tad longer next time?  Very moist throughout and not hard and dry on the outside and raw on the inside I was "treated" to growing up.  
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Oh I couldn't help myself and sprinkled a little montreal seasoning on the steak after I seared the first side.  That worked out well me thinks.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    Sorry Doofus but my dang thumb somehow hit off topic.
    Your steak looks great!
    Now does anybody know how to remove the off topic? I use an iPhone and accidentally dinged him.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    Congratulations!  Looks great.  Those reverse sear steaks are outstanding.
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    To my eye, it looks like the steaks were not seared hot enough. In addition to the hot temp (e.g. 600) it helps to lower the grate to very close to the coals. It takes me a good 10 minutes with my XL vents wide open to get up to temp during which the steaks are tented in foil. I think a thicker steak would work better also. Try some 2 inch steaks and see what you think. 

If you are going with a simple salt rub, you might try adding a compound butter or board sauce (EVOO, kosher salt, pepper, flat leaf parsley) when slicing the steak.
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    To my eye, it looks like the steaks were not seared hot enough. In addition to the hot temp (e.g. 600) it helps to lower the grate to very close to the coals. It takes me a good 10 minutes with my XL vents wide open to get up to temp during which the steaks are tented in foil. I think a thicker steak would work better also. Try some 2 inch steaks and see what you think. 

If you are going with a simple salt rub, you might try adding a compound butter or board sauce (EVOO, kosher salt, pepper, flat leaf parsley) when slicing the steak.
    I agree should have seared it a little longer or lower the grate, but how do you lower the grate? 
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA