Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs and purple potatoes

Options
Happy New Year folks!

Simple cook, but the ribs were probably the best I've made in a long time. Habanero Death Dust on the bottom, and Oak Ridge BBQ Competition Beef and Pork rub on the top. Indirect with a water pan, cherry for smoke, started at 250ish and let it drift up to 325 over 3.5 hrs. The potatoes were done in a foil pack with pepper, "garlic butter" oil, and steak rub for about 1 hr. 

Here's what ti looked like at 2.5 hrs, when i added the foil packet with the potatoes in it. 

The plated shot was not a good one. Just piled everything on and took a quick pic since we were starving. SWMBO made the squash indoors, with EVOO and Greek seasoning.

Never had purple potatoes before, but we really liked them. Sweeter than regular potatoes and even the skins tasted good. The ribs were probably the best I've made all year, so I think I'll use a water pan from now on. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Happy New Year my friend. The ribs look amazing, more details please!

btw, got a question for you ... my folks from back home are coming for dinner, two of the dishes are tandoori chicken and Egret ham, both marinated and ready.  It's bone-chilling cold here ... will still do the ham in the egg since it needs the smoke and doesn't need much attention, but not so sure about doing the tandoori chicken outside. Any experience cooking tandoori in the kitchen box? I'm thinking between 400F and 500F.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited January 2014
    Options
    @Canugghead: Do Canadians celebrate the New Year on the same day as Americans do? Just kidding :)

For the ribs - I like to use a rub with more heat on the bottom (membrane side) so the heat hits the tongue first. I prefer unsauced ribs, with a dipping sauce on the side ( Night Of The Living Dead this time). The difference this time was the water pan - not form a moisture standpoint but as a heat diffuser. It really evened the heat out and the ribs were perfect IMO, which hasn't happened in a long time. I've made good ribs previously, but these were really good. 

Re: tandoori chicken in the oven, I used to make it that way in college before I had any cookers of my own. I would bake/roast them at 350°F, middle position in the oven, in a rimmed pan with the chicken on  a wire rack set in it. i don't like it when the chicken sit in its own grease. Spritz the chicken with some spray canola oil or Pam. When it is nearly done,  turn the oven broiler on, and place the chicken in the top rack position to char the chicken a little bit. 

If you really want to go for gold, after the chicken is broiled, light a chunk of lump and when it is fully glowing, place it in a small metal bowl. Set the bowl in the middle of a large "dekchi" or handi and place the chicken pieces all around the bowl with the lump, inside the larger vessel. Pour 1-2 TBSP of  the chicken grease from the baking pan ( you could also use ghee) over the lit charcoal and immediately cover the vessel tightly with foil or a lid. Let it sit for 10-20mins and voila - you have indoor tandoori chicken!   The fat hitting the charcoal will give the chicken a  little smokiness which you can't get from the oven, but is integral to the flavor of tandoori chicken IMO. 

And of course, you need to post some pics to let us know how it goes :)

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Ribs with a kick...I like it!!! They look great man and I like that you didn't trim them to a STL cut. Definitely have moved on from BB to spares. Enjoy them so much more.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • caliking
    Options
    @cazzy - I'm pretty lazy about ribs so I take the path of least resistance. No trimming, spritzing, mopping, foiling, etc. Just get some rub on them and into the egg they go. I could never make BB's to my satisfaction. They would come out dry,  or too mushy after foiling, so I gave up on them when I found out that spares were easier to cook. I do trim the flap of meat on the underside of spares and save it to stir fry later. 

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Excellent meal there, I am hungry now.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Looks awesome! Happy new year!

edited January 2014
    Options
    @caliking
    Good tips on seasoning the underside of ribs and water pan, will keep that in mind.
    As for tandoori in the oven, the lump in the bowl idea sounds amazing, I may give it a go! Yes I thought of cooking on wire rack too, however, since I'm cooking 2 or 3 oven loads, I was thinking at least 400F to speed things up, no?
    canuckland
  • caliking
    Options

@Canugghead - I forgot you usually make enough to feed all of Bentick Street at a time! You are right, 400-425°F will help speed things up if you are making alot of chicken.

@paqman - Happy New Year to you also :)

@Aviator - I may go home for lunch today, just to get into the leftovers.

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options

Damn that look's good!

Happy New Year my friend!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• caliking
    Options
    @RAC - Happy New Year to you too, Ricky! How did your surgery go? You have to be fighting fit for Salado :)

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options

It went good. Had the surgery on the 26th ( marry Christmas to me ) so just trying to recoup. Look's like I will be in a cast for the next 8 - 10 weeks. Doing a number on my egg cook's.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    As always I hate you...

:D
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    Options
    henapple said:
    As always I hate you... :D
    Take a number!   More importantly,  what happened to the rest of @RAC 's fingers?!?! 

• Canugghead
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I ended up braving the cold and cooked everything, except shrimp curry, in the XL and L, after all it's the GWN ... home made sausages, Egret ham (1st time), tandoori chicken and naan. Your indoor smoke tip will come in handy some day when I'm in a senior condo with no eggs though!

soaked for 30-45 minutes with couple of water changes to reduce salt, marinated overnight:

indirect 250F, with few apple and cherry chunks, pulled after four hours at IT 135F. turned out really nice if I may say so, definitely on my future to-cook list, thanks Egret:

another boring pic of tandoori chicken, just to prove it happened ;)  this time the texture is closer to authentic Indian restaurant's, I added pureed onion for the first time which may have helped.
    canuckland
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Nice looking meals @caliking and @canugghead!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looking good. Try them purple taters in tater salad next time you make one. Good stuff.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• caliking
    Options
    @Griffin - do you use only purple potatoes for the salad or mix in some regular ones?

@Canugghead : Bravo! I knew you were too good to give in to the big clock in the kitchen :) that chicken looks terrific.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Half purple half red and we do a bacon bleu cheese grilled tater salad. Purple taters have 4x the anti-oxidants as russet potatoes which is a nice added bonus too.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• caliking
    Options
    That sounds tasty. Will give it a whirl sometime. Thanks.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

@cali, the ribs look perfect man. I took like a dry rib these days and bouce back and forth between spares and BBs.

@RAC, sorry to hear about your surgery. Heres to a speedy recovery

@canugghead, the tandori chicken looks unreal. Do you mind send me some specifics on that. It will go great addition to my indian night cooks.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Canugghead
    edited January 2014
    Options
    @Chubbs, I posted about tandoori in the link below.  This time I added one onion (pureed), could have used two, to the mix for about 13lb of chicken and it really took it up a notch ...
    canuckland