Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

I got a couple of those pre-made thin pizza crusts from the store...

is a pizza stone needed or advised with this type of crust?  image
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!
·

Comments

• ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,944
    I've never done the thin and crispy variety but that's my son's favorite crust for pizza. Whether I make dough or not. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • tjosbornetjosborne Posts: 424
    I used the thin before. I just threw it directly on grates with plate setter in and they turned out good.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
    ·
  • edited January 2014
    I use em all the time...With the ps legs up.and a stone raised about 2 in above the feltline... I also use parchment for about 5 min...then pull the parchment for another 5 or so..
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
    ·
  • I also have cooked these,I used the stone just as if it were fresh dough. They cook pretty fast being so thin.

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
    ·
  • lakewadelakewade Posts: 373
    They are great.  You probably already know how to cook pizza your way, but I use these crusts with:
    • A regular pizza stone on top of cooking grid on top of plate setter.  
    • Get the temp high (450+) and make sure to monitor the pizza closely or you can burn it. 
    • I just put some corn meal on the wood peel under the pizza and it transfers over to the stone. 
    • Also pre-heat the stone. 
    Now that I got an AR for Christmas I may change this strategy but I know it works well as is.    Enjoy. 

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
    ·
  • jls9595jls9595 Posts: 1,349
    Thanks guys. going to make some pizza today if it ever stops raining
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    ·
  • I'd maybe add some 1/2" copper tees under your pizza stone.  I plan on doing that next pizza cook.  I put our pizza stone right on top of PS and the bottom of the pizza was a little more burnt(black) than we wanted.  Others have suggested the copper tees in between PS and pizza stone gives some air circulation and less burning like I experienced.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
    ·
  • demodemo Posts: 145
    I use these crusts all the time.  Plate setter, legs up, grate, pizza stone on the grate.  Make sure to let the stone get hot.
    ·
  • jls9595jls9595 Posts: 1,349
    demo said:
    I use these crusts all the time.  Plate setter, legs up, grate, pizza stone on the grate.  Make sure to let the stone get hot.
    That's what I did, they are good crusts.  My wife and kids loved it and it was way easier than making my own dough. 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    ·
  • Timbo66Timbo66 Posts: 109
    I made two last night with the same crust. Turned out great.
    Large Egg, Warner Robins,Ga
    ·