Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

How my Anova saved New Years Dinner... (pics included)

So, we had a three bone prime rib in the freezer that was purchased with the intent of cooking tonight for our New Years dinner at my grandmother's house. On Monday morning, I took the roast out of the freezer and placed it in the refrigerator thinking that it would defrost and be ready to rub this morning when I got up and sit for a couple of hours. To my surprise, I got up this morning to find it frozen solid... hard as a rock! Knowing that I had other things to do this morning, I panicked. Then I thought about sous vide. The roast was already vacuum sealed, so I dropped it in a water bath powered by the Anova for 2 hours at 135 while I ran my errands and came home to a defrosted roast that was already at an IT of 80 degrees. I took the meat out of the bath, rubbed it with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and put it on the Egg at 275 until the IT hit 135 (I know, I know! I way overcooked it, but my family likes medium well beef.). Then a quick sear with the Mapp torch and she was ready. Thanks for looking!

On a side note, does anyone else cook the ribs separate from the roast? I cooked these like I would pork ribs and they turned out great!

LBGE April 2011 • SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013

Comments