Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

How my Anova saved New Years Dinner... (pics included)

So, we had a three bone prime rib in the freezer that was purchased with the intent of cooking tonight for our New Years dinner at my grandmother's house. On Monday morning, I took the roast out of the freezer and placed it in the refrigerator thinking that it would defrost and be ready to rub this morning when I got up and sit for a couple of hours. To my surprise, I got up this morning to find it frozen solid... hard as a rock! Knowing that I had other things to do this morning, I panicked. Then I thought about sous vide. The roast was already vacuum sealed, so I dropped it in a water bath powered by the Anova for 2 hours at 135 while I ran my errands and came home to a defrosted roast that was already at an IT of 80 degrees. I took the meat out of the bath, rubbed it with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and put it on the Egg at 275 until the IT hit 135 (I know, I know! I way overcooked it, but my family likes medium well beef.). Then a quick sear with the Mapp torch and she was ready. Thanks for looking!

On a side note, does anyone else cook the ribs separate from the roast? I cooked these like I would pork ribs and they turned out great!

LBGE April 2011 • SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013

Comments