Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke Confusion

Options
Happy new year all.

I have been doing ham over the last few years on the large egg and need to confirm a few things. I normally buy a smoked ham and further smoke it on the egg for a few hours. I use various smoke pellets in a small tin and some scattered into the fire. There is a water pan under the ham with the plate setter in place. 

My first questions is: Being cooked for a further 2 hours seems to dry the ham out (which kinds of makes sense seeing as the ham is already cooked) more than when its new out of the packet, is this normal? or should it be moist. I really want more smoke taste but don't really want to cook the ham more.

My second question is: Whenever I see you tube videos of someone smoking, they seem to have a lot of smoke coming out of the egg? as im cooking the ham at around the 250 mark, not much smoke is being produced and the smoke in the egg does not start kicking in until around 325-350, which seems too high?. This could of course be a pellet issue and I should be using wood chips or chunks instead?

Appreciate any help

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I layer chunks in my lump on long cooks...it rolls pretty good. The pellets may not be enough.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I have only done a handful of hams but I cook at 300-325 indirect with a big hand full of cherry & pecan chips(non soaked) My hams are always moist and juicy and get big raves from the family ( prolly just jinxed myself).
    I haven't ever used pellets but I know from chips and chunks you don't have to see the smoke for it to flavoring the meat. Might ditch the pellets and try chunks or chips scattered throughout your lump. IDK.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Alphonse
    Options
    Yes, per henapple's suggestion use chunks vs pellets. Also drop the temp to 200F and monitor meat temperature to your target.
    Alan in LA (Lower Alabama that is)
    "If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!"