Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork roast rib end

Options
I'm doing ribs tomorrow for New Year's Day, and I thought a boston butt would be good for pulled pork also. So my wife went to the store and picked up a pork roast rib end by mistake. I have never cooked one of these roast before so any ideas would be great, like direct or indirect how long should it take? Would be nice if I could do it while I'm doing the ribs.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Any pics? Is it a loin? I learned a while back. ..don't send the person not cooking to the store but I'm sure you will be fine.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Ospreydog
    Ospreydog Posts: 103
    Options
    Here is what she bought.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    You got what i believe makes the best pork roast. Technically, the rib end should have 4 bones, but most grocery stores will cut it to 5 or even 6 ribs - reason being - the first two ribs of the true cut just do not "look" good. any further, and you get a center cut loin cut But I digress..

I am making 3 of them tomorrow, and this is how I am doing it:
    1 1/2 qt of warm water, dissolve 2 cups kosher salt and 2.5 cups brown sugar... stir until dissolved. Add 10 peeled and chopped garlic cloves. Sit for a few mins to release oils.
    Add 2.5 qts of cool water. Cool mixture to <38 degrees for it to be a safe brine.<br> Brine meat for at least 3 hrs. (My brine is made, and will add the meat before I go to bed and pull out right when I wake up.)
    Rinse roast and set in fridge until 1 hour before cooking. Set on counter to warm a bit before putting on egg.
    Cook at 325 indirect for 65-80 mins for a 4-5 lb roast - but we all know to cook to temperature.
    Add smoke of choice. I use only a little bit of hickory, as the meat is delicious and has a lot of flavor.
    Please let me know how it turns out - I think you will be pleased. This is the only way I cook them, and they always turn out well this way, or I would not be cooking it for 14 people tomorrow.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Ospreydog
    Options
    Thank you so much, I will try your method. Hopefully I can post some pics tomorrow also. Thanks again. And Happy New Year everyone!
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    No problem. Remember that this meat is not to be pulled, but rather sliced into chops. Hopefully (although doubtfully), they cracked the bone so it is eeasier for you to slice. If not, you might want to cut the meat from the bone before the cook, then tie back together so that it is easier to slice when cooked.
    Large and MiniMax

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    We got a full rack at Costco the morning.  We will be doing a dry brine instead of a wet brine. Cooking at 325 indirect until IT reads 135-140.  Serving black-eyed peas and cornbread with the roast.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Ospreydog
    Options
    Didn't think about cutting the bone, I guess I better debone it. Nothing like sitting in a deer stand on the last day of the season talking to your egg friends.
  • Ospreydog
    Options
    Well I got an egg full of meat.
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    Is there a rough time per pound.  Trying to figure out how long a roast 5#'s would be.  I saw somewhere that 4-5# would take 60 to 80 minutes?
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Ospreydog said:
    Well I got an egg full of meat.

looks great! let me know how it turns out. How long did you brine it?
    Large and MiniMax

• Sea2Ski
    Options
    Mark0525 said:
    Is there a rough time per pound.  Trying to figure out how long a roast 5#'s would be.  I saw somewhere that 4-5# would take 60 to 80 minutes?

that is about right cooking at 325 or a bit higher.
    Mine will hopefully be done at 2:30 - rest 15 mins, then I will put it on at 425-450 direct for about 5 mins right before slicing for good color. It will be sliced table-side, and hopefully with oohsss and ahhs as the juice flows, and when they bite into it.
    Large and MiniMax

• Sea2Ski
    Options
    how did it turn out?
    Large and MiniMax

• Ospreydog
    Options
    It turned out great, I did the brine just like you said. I took it off at 142 and did a reverse sear, wrapped it and went to my parents house with the rest of the family. I almost always forget to get plated pics and this time was no different. Thanks for all the info, have a great new egg year.
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Excellent. Ours took 1 hour longer than planned.. I think it was because I had 3 on, instead of just 1 at a time. Tasted great. How long did you brine for out of curiosity?
    Large and MiniMax