Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Work pizza

My wife wanted to take a few pies to work so last night we made a few 
Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Awesome!  Great cook!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Your crusts look perfect.  What recipe are you using for the dough?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Looks great.  What time are you serving?

Garnerville, NY
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Nice job!  I'm with Brisket_Fanatic... What temp and how long?  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    +3  Time and temp plus dough recipe please.  I see you have two eggs, but that is still a good nights worth of work to cook a dozen pies!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

Where can I get a slice or two?

I am sure they enjoyed them all.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited December 2013
    @Brkisket_Fanatic cooked at  dome temp of 550 degrees on my XL BGE on the BGE pizza stone . First few minutes on parchment paper then pulled the paper turned the pie 180 degrees till done time i believe is roughly 8 minutes depending on toppings some take a little less time others a little longer .

heres the dough recipe 

it's a dough my wife makes every thursday night for friday pizza (new york style crust).its from Tony Gemignani and Diane Morgan Pizza book 

2-1/4 Teaspoons Active Dry yeast 
    1- cup lukewarm water 90F to 100F degrees
    1-1/4 cups ice cold water 
    1- Teaspoon sugar 
    1 -Tablespoon salt or 1-1/2 tablespoons Kosher salt 
    2 -Tablespoons olive oil 
    5-1/4 to 5-1/2 cups unbleached bread flour (we use KAF)

1-in a small bowl stir the yeast into the luke warm water and set aside to dissolve about 5 minutes

2- in another bowl combine the cold water ,sugar ,salt and olive oil ,stir to dissolve the mixture

3- pour the flour into a mixing bowl (we use our KA mixer with the dough hook  ) add the yeast mixture along with the cold water mixture and mix on low speed until the flour is incorporated and the dough gathers to form a coarse mixture about 4 minutes .let is rest for 2 minutes and then mix on low speed until the dough is smooth and not sticky about 6 minutes longer . if the dough climbs the dough hook stop your mixer and push it down . turn the dough out on a well floured area and knead for a minute or two until it forms a smooth ball add a bit more flour if needed .

4-to prepare the dough for rising . cut the dough into thirds to form three even portions weighing about 15 ounces each .with floured hands pick up one portion of the dough and pull the opposite ends together wrapping them underneath toward the center to form a tight ,smooth ball pinch to seal repeat for the other two dough balls .place each into a container that will allow them to double in size (you can use a gallon zip lock bag just squeeze out all the air and seal )

5-Refrigerate for at least ten hours .Remove from the refrigerator at least one hour before using to allow the dough to come to room temperature (we allow 1-1/2 hours) 
    we make 3 15 to 17 inch pies with this dough and its seems to be our go to dough now 

you can split the dough however you really want to . to allow the size pie and crust thickness you want 

Sorry it took so long to reply . Life's been a little crazy lately , Thanks for all the nice comments 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Did you cook them on one load of lump? I have to cook about 6 pizzas tomorrow and was wondering if one load would be enough.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• TEH68
    TEH68 Posts: 62
    Those look incredible!
    Large, Small & Mini. Marietta, GA Go DAWGS!!
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    I don't know how you get them to look so round. Every time I make one from homemade dough it winds up looking like an amoeba. Do you roll them?
    Greensboro, NC
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    bigphil, those pies look mighty impressive. gotta try that dough recipe. THANKS!!

Wolfpack, shaping pies is not difficult. It you make round dough balls, you will get round pizza. Here are a couple of videos that may help.

Take the dough balls out of the fridge 2 hours before it's time to shape the pie. 

How to form a dough ball... 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he-V1J86REA 

And shaping the pie (first 4 minutes)... 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjYqw1CLZsA 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bigphil
    @bo_mull yes one bag of royal oak 8.8 pound bag in my XL BGE i light the whole top and allow it to come up to temp with the place setter in legs up then the grid with risers on that then the pizza stone once it reaches temp and is stable i get little to no flames shooting out when i open the dome .My large seems to flash on me more so the XL gets all the high temp cooks 

@Wolfpack like CarolinaQ said round dough balls and my wife forms them she just allows the dough to drop as she works it around by hand ,also we've found much more than a hour to a hour and a half of setting out the dough it doesn't work as nice still tastes grey just harder to form 

@Carolina Q Thanks we've tried different flour but found we like the bread flour best at Costco we buy 50 pounds for $15.00 pennies for each crust 
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    They all look great! How do yo transport them? Pizza boxes or some other custom rig?
  • bigphil
    edited January 2014
    @hapster Thanks, I picked up a 100 misprinted pizza boxes for ten bucks awhile ago 

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Bookmarked - Thanks!
    Milton, GA.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Wow those look PRO! That's gonna sell some eggs.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!