Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Bone-in Prime Rib Roast for NYE question

Good evening! I will be cooking a rib roast (bone-in, 4 bones) tomorrow for NYE. I plan on cooking indirect at 225 and then doing a reverse sear at the end. I have two questions: 1. I will be cooking witth the v-rack on top of the place setter, should i set a small drip pan underneath to make au ju? 2. If we plan on eating at 7:00 PM how long (guesstimate) do you think it will take to get to the 120 IT? Thank you everyone and have a great/safe NYE!!! Kyle Laux

Comments

• hapsterhapster Posts: 7,445
    Drip pan is a must, for any gravy but more so to prevent anything burning and creating nasty smoke that may put some nasty flavors on the meat...

• abpgwolfabpgwolf Posts: 465
    If you like a nice crust, I suggest removing the bones (use as a base for the sauce/gravy) place the roast directly on the grate. And definitely use a drip pan. As far as timing, my Christmas day roast went FAST. Plan on 2.5 to 3.5 hours.

Happy New Year

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Thank you both; I appreciate it. Would you reccomend not using the cast iron grate and just using the standard grate so the sear marks aren't too agressive?
    No problem... here is the link to my Christmas day cook... more info and quicker than typing and trying to remember ;)

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1160344/the-christmas-beast#latest
  • About to take this beautiful piece of meat off and get the temp up to reverse sear and then enjoy with some champagne! Have a great New Year's!

Thank you two both of you for your help and reccomendations!
  • Philly35Philly35 Posts: 730
    You didn't really pay 11.49 a pound did you? Holy smokes! It's around 6-8 here and you can get a whole ribeye for that price!
    NW IOWA
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 9,058
    Philly35 said:
    You didn't really pay 11.49 a pound did you? Holy smokes! It's around 6-8 here and you can get a whole ribeye for that price!
    I'm sure you just made him feel really good about his purchase.  lmao.

It definitely does suck that there isn't more regulation on meat pricing.  The fact that peeps can pay $5 less per pound on meat sucks.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Philly35Philly35 Posts: 730
    Hopefully he doesn't screw it up! lol just kidding!
    NW IOWA
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,528
    KyleLaux said:
    About to take this beautiful piece of meat off and get the temp up to reverse sear and then enjoy with some champagne! Have a great New Year's!

Thank you two both of you for your help and reccomendations!
    Was that USDA Choice or Prime?
    @Cazzy. .condoms in Texas are 25 cents. Here they're a dollar. That 6 dollars a year kills my 401k.

=))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,528
    henapple said:
    @Cazzy. .condoms in Texas are 25 cents. Here they're a dollar. That 6 dollars a year kills my 401k. =))
    Maybe they are priced by size

On a side note $0.25 for a condom...they're free..
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 9,058
    Tjcoley said:
    henapple said:
    @Cazzy. .condoms in Texas are 25 cents. Here they're a dollar. That 6 dollars a year kills my 401k. =))
    Maybe they are priced by size

=))
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    That looks great!!! Glad it turned out well for you! Don't feel bad, my roast for Christmas was $27/lb for prime grade... Cook correctly, worth every penny!
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 17,312
    edited January 2014
    hapster said:
    That looks great!!! Glad it turned out well for you! Don't feel bad, my roast for Christmas was $27/lb for prime grade... Cook correctly, worth every penny!
    Totally agree. I would pay $30 in a heartbeat for the right cut. This one looks awesome. If I saw prime rib or ribeye for $6-$8, the first question in my mind is "what's wrong with it"?

1- LGBE
    1- KBQ C-60 (The Dishwasher)
    I- Blackstone 36" Griddle
    1- Sweet-A$$ Roccbox Pizza Oven
    1-Very Understanding and Forgiving Wife
  • The rib roast turned out phenomenal and the champagane was buy-one-get-one free at the same plac I bought the meat so it offset the price!!!

Thank you everyone!