Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Digique question

Options
Lucky for me, Santa brought me a new LGE for Christmas.  My first cook was an all night cook....an 8.5 lb Pork Butt.  It ended up incredibly awesome...and I love my new LGE.  My question is about the digique II. 

I read on an online post about how a 16 inch cake pan was a perfect fit to use for a water pan.  I tried it...and it fit perfectly into the plate setter (legs up).  However, with the digique turned on....I had a tough time getting the temp over 215 degrees.  In the am, when i got up, I removed the 16 inch water pan...and the temp got up to 235...and stayed there for hours.  Do you think the very large water dish could have been too large and did not let enough air through the dome to allow for higher temp...or do you think it was something else?

This weekend I am doing a whole brisket.

I already have a Traager....my BGE is WAY BETTER!

Comments

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    First, there is really no need for a water pan in the egg but even if you do want to use one make sure you open the digiq damper more to make up for the extra water you are heating.  As long as the water pan is no wider than the solid part of the plate setter it will not impact air flow.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• dlk7
    Options
    Also, opening the daisy wheel more or taking it off completely will allow more air flow.  Also, lighting the lump in a couple more places may help too.

Waunakee, WI

• Zooman
    Zooman Posts: 6
    Options
    ok...cool.  Thanks for the feedback.  I am looking forward to doing the brisket this weekend....researching recipes and techniques now....on NYE.  I am such a dork....

• dlk7
    Options

Just to be sure I'm not missing anything, can you explain exactly how you had your egg set with the digiq?  Digiq damper setting (1/4,1/2, 3/4, full?), daisywheel setting (how much were the petals open), where and how many places you lit the lump, type of lump you used, how much lump (to the bottom or top of fire ring), did you let the lump get started and about 20 degrees below your target temperature before you put the platesetter in?

Waunakee, WI

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Where did you have the temp probe?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    What hand did you use to lift the lid?

Haha sorry I know you are trying to help. I was just reading it laughing think of an interagation.
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    Ignore me and continue
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    As stated earlier, there is no need for water in the egg.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Zooman
    Options
    henapple, I clipped the probe onto the grate
  • Zooman
    Options
    dlk7,

I had the damper complete closed, daisy wheel open about an 1/8 of an inch.

I had much better luck last night with my brisket.  I left the damper open about an 1/4 inch....daisey wheel at an 1/8th of an inch....and I was able to maintain at 240 all night.  The brisket looks amazing!
  • dlk7
    Options

The closed damper is what kept you from getting past 215 the first time - not enough airflow. I'm surprised that it got that high since the fan was just pushing against a closed damper.  I usually have my damper open 1/4 and the daisy wheel almost closed on my XL to maintain 225. 

If you haven't done brisket before, watch the internal temp starting at about 195 and probe the meat every 10 to 15 minutes until the probe goes into and out of the brisket like pushing through butter.  Pull before and the brisket will be tough, pull later and it can be dry.

Waunakee, WI

• Zooman
    Options
    dlk7, Thanks for the tips on the brisket!  It was a huge success.  I started with a 15lb brisket.  I trimmed off some of the fat....seasoned it up with S&P.  It went on the BGE at 10:00pm....and came off at 3:00 pm.  I kept it wrapped in the cooler until 6:00.  We had 10 people over.....and all of the meat was polished off!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Water in the egg will limit the temp to 212*

Steve 

Caledon, ON