Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor kitchen island

Options
I have been wanting an outdoor kitchen for a long time. Was going to have one built when the patio extension was built this summer - something pretty basic, an island with enclosed storage and a sink, since i wanted the eggs to stay mobile. I balked at the cost, so thought of building one myself out of exterior grade metal stud, hardibacker, stone, with a granite countertop. That would have been pricey too especially in terms of time and labor put in. I hunted around on craiglist for a steel table with sink which would have taken care of most of my needs, except the storage part. No luck. 

I then stumbled upon the Stenstorp kitchen island at  IKEA. its an indoor item with an oak top, solid wood frame, and only 1 piece of particle board! I like that it has metal shelves for some storage, and the back half is open, so it accommodates the water and electrical stubs in the patio.

This is where @RRP came in. The top came lightly oiled, so I figured I needed to finish it with spar urethane so that it could weather the elements. I pm'ed Ron, and he patiently guided me through the process, so a big shout to him! After many hours of sanding, and waiting for the multiple coats of spar urethane to dry, I was finally ready to put it all together. 

It has a nice large work area. I have some granite tiles that I'll set down on one end for placing hot pans, etc. May use covered rubbermaid type container for things like gloves, some eggcessories, etc. May drop a bar sink in the countertop at some point. Cost was less than what i would have paid for just the steel doors/drawers for a custom built island. We'll see how long it lasts. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments