Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shun Knife Sale

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• mguzik
    mguzik Posts: 19
    No idea , I got my classic knifes on amazon and ebay. Check ebay and amazon
  • real good deal, I always think about ordering them when they are on woot.  Never pulled the trigger though
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I have a set of Wusthof knives and I like them. Those who use the Shun knives, are they a must have?

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    The premiers are nice. I prefer having a chef knife over a santoku but if you like santokus those knives are nice.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    I have the chef's knife and love it. It is a a piece of art and functional! This is a good deal, 2 knives and a cutting board for $179.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• I'm wondering  about the half serrated portions on the knife. You would only be able to sharpen the center part
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited December 2013
    I would pass. I don't care for the santoku style to begin with (but that's just me) and this one is only 5 1/2" long. Also, I'm not thrilled with the partially serrated edge on the utility. Maybe good for tomatoes? But how do you sharpen it?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I think my wife would like these. I bought her a 8" Wustoff chefs knife for christmas and the first thing she did was remove her fingerprint on her index finger. She has had a Wustoff santoku for years but the shape of the chefs blade threw her a curve.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited February 2014
    I know there has been talk about Shun off and on here.  I don't own any or have an opinion on them (or know anything about pricing), but there is another woot sale here:

http://www.woot.com/plus/shun-knives
    NOLA
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    I have the Shun Premier 6" Santoku, and like it very much. If you haven't owned REALLY sharp knives, there is definitely a period of adjustment. The Premier Santoku is not only an excellent tool, it is also a work of art - very beautiful. It needs to be handled carefully - no throwing in the sink, or perish the thought, the dishwasher. I'm not sure a serrated Shun is in my future,but you can be sure of the quality. I'm really lusting after a couple of the Reserve line knives - the slicer in particular.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    edited February 2014
    Well, crap..  The second link had the 5 inch Santoku and that weird utility knife for only $160..  Woot's REALLY been slipping - I haven't bought anything from them in over a year and I used to order several times a week.  Especially the wine.  But ....

... the Shun Premier line is, imho, a SIGNIFICANT value.  Lots of features there, but what I go for is the Hand Hammered tsuchime finish. I have a few classics, and am picking one of those Debas you linked up there up tomorrow off a Craigslist deal.  The quality on the premier line is dramatic. The handmade hand hammered effect makes each piece unique.

@fishlessman also posted a pretty cool knife for $100  -  look to his thread.  I'll link when I find it.

There it is!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!