Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Here We Go!!! 1st brisket attempt will seal the fate of 2014!

Options
Hi Everyone!

Long time lurker, first time posting (Scroll down for short version of question). I got my LBGE back in November this year and have been using it almost every day since. With help and guidance from everyone on this fourm, I have made some amazing dishes including the best BBR I have ever tasted. I love browsing this site and seeing everyone's meals and techniques. It's all so inspiring and makes me want to GRILL!

Sooo with that being said, here is where I am needing help and advice... I'm the type of person who jumps all in and that's what I have done here.

I am a HUGE brisket fan. I love brisket. It just is the best when cooked properly, but I have never done one before. So yesterday I went to SAMs and bought a 15 lb packer brisket. I have trimmed down to around 12.75lbs and used meathead beef rub on it. I am having people over tomorrow around let's say 3PM and I want the brisket to be done around that time. 

(Question)Now I know that there are a lot of opinions and such about brisket cooking, but what I am most concerned about is the temp and timing for the 12.75 lb piece of meat. I have a DigiQ Dx2 that will do most of the work for me, but I need some feedback on when I should put it on tonight (leaving at like 7PM for NYE dinner) and on what temp, when to pull, how long to wrap for an ETA for 3PM meal.

Again thanks for everyone's help. I look forward to posting more and becoming a contributing member of the community!

John

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I don't see where you mentioned you'll be drunk as hell from bourbon or any mention of you waking up to a cold egg. :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    I have a 14lb on that is probably around 12 after trimming. I put it on at 11 last night and it is at 162* IT right now. I dont have a pit controller but its been right around 225 all night and day. I out 2 slabs of ribs on at noon and bumped the temp up 250* im hoping to have dinner around 6 so I think I am looking good. Hope this helps you a little bit
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I cooked a 16lb Snake River Farms brisket @ 250 for 13hrs and pulled @ 197 internal.  It cooked quicker than expected because of the high fat content.  Wrapped in foil and placed in cooler for 6hrs till we ate.  Still came out soft as butter and hot.  I'd shoot for it to finish earlier than later.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Around a hour per lb...at 250. Go till its tender...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JGambone
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I don't see where you mentioned you'll be drunk as hell from bourbon or any mention of you waking up to a cold egg. :P
    Well I thought that was sort of a given?! But replace the bourbon with Yuengling and it's a little more accurate for me. 

Thanks for all the other suggestions everyone.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    +1 on "finish sooner than later".  With FTC (foil, towels and cooler) you can adjust the eat time within a very large time band.  FTC can easily buy you 4-6 hours of hitting the finish-line.  So I would aim to finish around 3-4 hours early and if it runs long you have some room to work.  Just remember to only slice when ready to eat (it will dry out before your eyes) and slice against the grain.  When is it finished-when you probe the thickest part of the flat and get no resistance in our out, you are there.  Generally start checking at about 190*F but it may not be ready til the low 200's.  (Now if you have a Snake River Farms HOB (hunk of beef) then it will likely finish in the mid-high 180's-but that's the general subject of another thread on here).  Happy New Year.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited December 2013
    Options
    learned a new trick yesterday that i really liked. when you can slide a wooden skewer or meat probe all the way through (go in though the top and all the way out the bottom)the thickest part with very little resistance,it's ready. That will give you a pretty good reading of the point and the thickest part of the flat with one poke. I used it yesterday and the SRF brisky and will continue to use that as the gauge from now on.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    @Cen_Tex go ahead and rub it in some more :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

Welcome and great success on your first brisket.

Remember to post pics, even one, I guess, will do.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX