Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Par Freeze before slicing deli meat?

Options
Mayberry
Mayberry Posts: 750
edited December 2013 in EggHead Forum
I just got a new slicer for Christmas and keep reading about par freezing before slicing deli meat. I understand it means putting the meat in the freezer, but for how long? Are you shooting for a specific internal temp on the meat for it to slice right, or are get getting it almost completely frozen before slicing?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    never seen a need, i just refridgerate then slice. raw meat its easier to par freeze if your slicing/shaving for a steak and cheese sandwich cook
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Like @fishlessman never really completely frozen it, but I pull it off the egg and into the freezer for 30 minutes or so. This helps stop the cooking (kinda like blanching veggies and then dipping in an ice bath) and firms the meat to make slicing easier. If the meat is still too soft after 30 minutes in the freezer, into the fridge for another 20-30 minutes until it is firmer to the touch. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Looper
    Looper Posts: 44
    Options

We've got a slicer that we mostly do bacon on.  We've found that 30 to 40 minutes in the freezer firms up the pork belly for better slicing.

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Good. I'm cooking a pork chop roast for New Years Day and want to thin slice the leftovers for cuban sandwiches. Thanks!
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Looper
    Looper Posts: 44
    Options

Sound delicious.  Happy New Year!

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I did an Eye of round and some turkey breast on Sunday night to slice for sammies.  I put them in the fridge and sliced today, no problem at all.  I would say the freezer is only needed if you have to slice shortly after you cook.

With that said, the turkey breast tended to fall apart a bit - the slices are fine for my own consumption, but not nice like you would put on a tray for a party (which we did).
    Anybody have suggestions for getting nice turkey slices?  Should I buy a pre-formed boneless turkey breast/roll rather than the whole breast?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY