Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do I foodsaver a Brisket?

I purchased a 7.5lb choice flat a couple weeks ago and I plan on cooking it tonight. I think I am going to slather it with mustard and coat it with Cosmic Cow and cook it overnight at 210 indirect with Ozark Oak and a few hickory chunks. Since I am the only one that eats brisket here, I want to vac seal and freeze it in dinner size portions for me to carry to work for my lunch. My question is, How should I go about the Vacuum seal process? Refrigerate then slice or slice it hot then vac seal and freeze? If it turns out dry then I will chop it up for chili meat.  

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

Comments

• I like to keep them as whole chunks and then pack them and freeze.  I'm of the school of thought that mass = more juices.
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'm the opposite. I like to foodsaver mine when it's just cool enough to do. I usually cube most of the flat for chili or stew.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I like to vac seal in larger chunks too.  I also save the burnt ends to add to flavor my beans instead of salt pork. 
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • Maybe it is a poutine kinda thing, but I freeze in chunks, thaw and then slice and if it needs it, some brown beef gravy is warmed and served over the brisket slices. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Please post what you end up doing and how it turns out. The reason I ask is that is I have not had great luck with brisket in my food saver. I think pulled pork actually comes out better after having been sauced and saved in FoodSaver bags and reheated. Ribs are almost, but not quite, as good as the first time around. But I've never had great luck with brisket. It always seems to come out too dry, so I might suggest having some gravy at the ready just in case.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Leave it whole and put it in an expandable vacuum bag. If you really like sauce seal it with it. If you like a little sauce don't. Sealing it with sauce soaks into the meat during the cool down.
    Here's the link for the bags.
    http://www.foodsaver.com/bags-&-rolls/FSFSBFEX616-000.html#start=10
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363

Brisket has been on the egg for 11 hours @ 215 deg. I'm in the middle of the stall right now at 164 deg. I bumped up the temp to 235 thinking about going up to 250. Maybe it wont dry out too much.    

Cleveland, TN.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    It won't....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Maybe it is a poutine kinda thing, but I freeze in chunks, thaw and then slice and if it needs it, some brown beef gravy is warmed and served over the brisket slices. 
    Skiddy, brown gravy, we call that roast.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    it finally went up a couple deg. It's at 168 now. It has taken 5 hrs to go from 159 to 168.  

Cleveland, TN.