Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying something new today and would like some thoughts...

Options
mjs2171
mjs2171 Posts: 26
Good morning and happy new year to all.  Trying something new and wanting to smoke a pork loin as opposed to grilling one.  So, I got one that is close to 5.5lbs, brined it over night and now have it sitting with some rub ready to go.  I was thinking of cooking it at 275 for about 7 hrs or when my internal temp reaches about 160/165, pulling  and wrapping in foil for an hour or so and then slicing.  

So, did I go about this all wrong, or should this come out ok.  Thoughts?

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    I've only cooked pork tenderloin's, but I can't imagine it would take nearly that long. I also pull at 140. It will rise to 145 during the rest. Good luck
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Pork loin has very little internal fat or connective tissue. While brining will improve it some, it will be too dry if it goes to 160. I agree w. tulocay, pull at 140. If the loin is well chilled before cooking, it will should have a 2 - 3hours of time to take smoke.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    i would probably pull it even lower, maybe 135 and reverse sear it at the end
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Good suggestions already. I'm with Fishless on this. You'll want the sear to build up a tantalizing flavor crust.

Happy New Year!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Nothing wrong with experimenting a little to see what you like. I tend to smoke roast mine at closer to 350-400, but you could go low ans slow. The important thing is not to overcook it and at 160, you have overcooked it. USDA changed their mind a few years ago and said pork is safe at 145. I'd pull it lower (135ish-140) and then reverse sear a few minutes per side to get a good crust.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• mjs2171
    Options
    Great suggestions.  So, how many hours are we looking at then.  Perhaps an hour per pound, 45 minutes per?
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I pull at 135 and IMO it's perfect. Very lean piece of meat. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would guess 2.5-3 hours at 275 dome.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited December 2013
    Options
    +1 on what they said!!   :D

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Don't pull at 160. It will be dry as dirt!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's