Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
National BBQ Month sure was tasty! We hope you got to try just as many new BBQ recipes as we did and some old favorites as well. If not, you can find all our BBQ recipes here and try them out all summer long. One of our favorites was Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise and Ted Reader’s Rum Injected Sweet Potatoes. As the weather’s heating up, use your EGG for a cool treat-Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keep an eye out for some Father’s Day recipes from chefs & their dads, coming soon!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

New Years Eve Cook

As usual; it will just be low key night at home for NYE... My wife, who normally will vote for chicken of some type 10/10 times decided to flip things and tells me we (read me) should do surf & turf for tomorrow night. I grabbed my coat and ran for the door to get to Wegman's before the hoards had decimated the place, they are also calling for snow later this week which will in all likely hood cause a run on all food stuffs, but I digress...

As I headed out the door, my wife yells down that she wants little filets and whatever the surf I pick... :)

So, here's the line up for tomorrow night's cook... I'm sure I will be doing some research on at least one of the items

Turf - 3 prime dry aged filets

Surf - U10 scallops & 6oz cold water lobster tails

Sides - Baby Red potatoes and asparagus

Dessert - A chocolate cream pie

Cooking plan...

Doing the potatoes first in a basket direct, followed by the asparagus. Keep them warm in the oven...

Then I'm going to pan sear the scallops in the CI and finish with some Orange Vanilla butter, followed by the tails, not sure how to cook, probably just put the meat on top of the shell and roast direct till finished and hit with the OV butter as well...

Doing the filets down on the CI grate on the spider, searing and flipping until the desired temp for each of us. I picked up some Truffle butter to use to finish them when they are plated and resting...

Beverages TBD

I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable evening with your family and friends!
·

Comments

• DMWDMW Posts: 6,630
    Sounds like a good plan. Have a similar theme over here, have a few families coming over. My turf is some 2" NY strips, surf is shrimp. Also have ABTs, pig shots, bacon wrapped asparagus, and pizza on the menu.
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,818
    DMW said:
    Sounds like a good plan. Have a similar theme over here, have a few families coming over. My turf is some 2" NY strips, surf is shrimp. Also have ABTs, pig shots, bacon wrapped asparagus, and pizza on the menu.
    Sounds really good... dammit, now I might have to grab some bacon tomorrow. I hadn't thought of that, but the last time I made the bacon wrapped asparagus, it was insanely good :)
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,268
    I can be in Pennsylvania tomorrow.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • What time is dinner, but I think you need at least two more fillets. I'll bring the Cubans.....
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 940
    Sounds yummy! If I wasn't cooking a dinner on my Egg to serve midafternoon, I'd want to start heading down there. If I left now I could just make it in time. Good luck with your Cook!

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
    ·
    Me and Scoot waiting for mommy to get done at the doctors... She's fine, just a wrenched up back so it will def be a quiet night on the dance floor tonight...

image.jpg 279.7K
    ·
  • Sounds like a great menu!
    NW Iowa
    ·

A butt and a half a picnic for a small neighborhood gathering - they are making gumbo. Not sure what else we are having.
    "Son, there is no wrong way to consume alcohol." - Ron Swanson

Large BGE

East Point, GA
    "Son, there's no wrong way to consume alcohol.
    Son, there's no wrong way to consume alcohol.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,186
    Those Prime aged Filets are excellent. I made one on Christmas for the missus and I cooked a 2 lb Prime Rib. Oh yeah. 
    ·
  • Big RaguBig Ragu Posts: 146

hap i must give you credit.... you do things right.  i have also learned over the years that if you are going to take the time to do something DO IT! 

life is too short.... 

What you puffin tonight?  I have a Fuente don carlos #2 for tonight....hard to beat

·
    Big Ragu said:

hap i must give you credit.... you do things right.  i have also learned over the years that if you are going to take the time to do something DO IT! 

life is too short.... 

What you puffin tonight?  I have a Fuente don carlos #2 for tonight....hard to beat

Tonight's stick will likely be a Casa Magna 6x64 Colorado... a big version of my favorite stick

Enjoy your evening!
    ·
  • TEH68TEH68 Posts: 58
    Man, sounds like I need to be up north tonight. Decided to do three racks of baby backs today, let them sit up in the fridge tonight, then have them for the games tomorrow.
    Large & Small BGE. Marietta, GA Go DAWGS!!
    ·
    Here are some pics...

Egg is fired up and the veggies are almost done. Then it's the seafood and finally the beef. Of course there's my Woodford and favorite stick.

imageimageimage
    image.jpg 1.5M
    image.jpg 967.2K
    image.jpg 770.1K
    ·
    I had a AVO Lounge and glenfiddich. Shoulder just came off.
    ·
    Not my shoulder. .The pork
    ·
    henapple said:

Not my shoulder. .The pork

Seriously just about pissed myself at that
    ·
    Might as well show some more pics...

imageimageimage
    image.jpg 868K
    image.jpg 1.1M
    image.jpg 955.7K
    ·
  • FiremanyzFiremanyz Posts: 572
    I bought a whole filet a few months back from wegmans. I went in to look at their pork butts and saw a few whole filets that were marked down 50% off due to sell by that day 6.50 a lb versus 12.99. I bought two one for us and one for a friend. I left two behind. If I had know how good it was going to be I would not have left any there. It was by far one of the best steaks I have ever had. The wife even ate all of hers not trimming any thing off. As I type this I think I am going to pull some out of the freezer for dinner tomorrow night. Ps all of your food looks great.
    ·
    Firemanyz said:

I bought a whole filet a few months back from wegmans. I went in to look at their pork butts and saw a few whole filets that were marked down 50% off due to sell by that day 6.50 a lb versus 12.99. I bought two one for us and one for a friend. I left two behind. If I had know how good it was going to be I would not have left any there. It was by far one of the best steaks I have ever had. The wife even ate all of hers not trimming any thing off. As I type this I think I am going to pull some out of the freezer for dinner tomorrow night. Ps all of your food looks great.

LOL... Thanks. My wife isn't a big fan of beef but raved about the filet. Used their truffle finishing butter on them. Might be my best meal yet on this thing
    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,633
    God that looks great Hap.  It almost makes me want to go to the store and start cooking right now. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·

God that looks great Hap.  It almost makes me want to go to the store and start cooking right now. 

Thanks!!! Gotta love the egg for making us all better cooks and chefs than we were :)
    ·
  • DMWDMW Posts: 6,630
    Looking good...lobster tails are now on my to-do list.
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    ·
    DMW said:

Looking good...lobster tails are now on my to-do list.

Thanks! I did them basically 5 min aside at about 450...
    ·
  • Phenomenal cook and photos, as always!
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Albuquerque, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
    ·

Phenomenal cook and photos, as always!

Thanks John... Family helps a lot for cooks with this many moving parts
    ·
  • Looks awesome!  Another great asparagus recipie is wrap in proccuitto.   
    XL BGE
    ·
  • jls9595jls9595 Posts: 1,277
    what kind of camera do you have, great looking pictures. forgive me if I have asked you before, seems like I might have
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    ·
    jls9595 said:

what kind of camera do you have, great looking pictures. forgive me if I have asked you before, seems like I might have

Thanks... My regular gear is Sony with Minolta lenses. 99% of what I post on here is with my iPhone 5S
    ·