Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Year's Eve cocktail ideas needed

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
Looking for a balanced, not too sweet or tart adult cocktail recipe for the evening. My bar is pretty well stocked, but there is room for more. I need to stay away from something with bourbon in it though, as Mrs. 500 will drink anything except that. Thanks for suggestions.
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options

Here is one:

Vodka, Ciroc New Year's Eve Celebration

INGREDIENTS:
    1 1/2 oz Ciroc vodka
    3/4 oz creme de cassis or creme de mure
    1 oz simple syrup
    3/4 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
    Champagne
    Raspberries or grapes for garnish

Procedure:

1. Combine and shake vodka, creme de cassis or creme de mure, simple syrup and lemon juice and strain into an ice-filled highball or rocks glass. Top with champagne or sparkling wine. Garnish with three skewered raspberries or grapes.

2. Alternatively, this recipe could be made with three muddled red grapes (use fine strain if using the grapes), or to make a punch bowl of this recipe simply multiply quantities by however many guests, add ice, then top each serving with champagne.

3. -- Smirnoff

Recipe Type: Beverage

Source
    Source: Florida Today, 2008/12/25

• ringkingpin
    Options
    Man, for ME, there isn't anything much better in the winter than a REALLY good Manhattan.

I use Dickels Rye
    Formula Antica Sweet Vermouth (makes any drink with Sweet Vermouth AWESOME)
    Fee Brothers bitters
    BadaBing Cherries

I follow the IBA recipe and mix the rye and vermouth nearly 2:1.  I like to shake them and then pour on the rocks in a rocks glass.  

Man... getting thirsty just thinking about it!
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    ha, just saw your note about the bourbon.  Well, scratch the manhattan.
     Brillat-Savarin
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    A true Margarita:  Tequila, juice from 1/2 lime and orange liquour, of your choice, to taste.  On the rocks , sin sal.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    Anything from the IBA's unforgettables list you don't know?

Brillat-Savarin
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Add a glass or not. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Troglodyte
    Options
    Amateur night.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Albuquerque, NM
    Large BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    Pegu Club

• 2 oz Gin
    • .75 oz Orange Curaçao
    • .5 oz Fresh lime juice
    • 1 dash Orange bitters
    • 1 dash Angostura Bitters

Chill, shake, and strain into a glass

Cointreau or Grand Marnier can sub for the orange curacao

Pentwater, MI
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    I have recently been enjoying gin out of our cabinet. Can't go wrong with a good old Tom Collins (stay away from that Collins mix crap, use fresh citrus). Or I have also been enjoying gin and tonic with a little campari or a g & t with a healthy dose of rhubarb bitters  
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Create a martini and make it your own. This year I made a snowball martini. I did a peppermint too but my favorite is a lemon drop. I also do a chocolate martini for dessert. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    Amateur night.
    Oh, I fully agree.  We stay in.

I'll probably open a bottle of vintage champagne, maybe start with a cocktail.  
    I'm making some blinis (using the recipe from the Cake Bible), some creme fresh (using buttermilk and heavy creme) and have two 8oz tins of osetra golden pearl caviar. 
    I'm going to sous vide some of these scallops as a main course.
    My wife who is a very talented pastry chef said that she would make anything I like.  Haven't made up my mind.  I like to light my NYE desserts on fire, lol.  Maybe baba au rum.
     Brillat-Savarin
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    How about a Dark and Stormy. If you can't find Goslings Ginger Beer, any brand will work. In a tall glass filled with ice add 4 - 5 oz of Gosling's Stormy Ginger Beer and top with Gosling's Black Seal Rum. Garnish with a lime wedge.
    Options
    Scorpion from Steve Crane’s Luau, 1958 1oz lime juice 2oz orange juice 2oz gold Puerto Rican rum 2oz gin 1oz brandy 3/4oz simple syrup 1oz orgeat syrup 8oz crushed ice Donate everything to a blender. Spin up like the devil for 3 seconds. Pour, unstrained, into a wisely sized bowl. Drink by yourself or with friends.
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    PBR?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    I usually take a frosted glass and fill it with a good ipa
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Add a glass or not.
    The bottle is made of glass... that must count?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    A true Margarita:  Tequila, juice from 1/2 lime and orange liquour, of your choice, to taste.  On the rocks , sin sal.
    +1. Use a good white (blanco) tequila. I prefer the flavor of key limes, and Cointreau over Grand Marnier. Make a simple syrup ( 1 cup sugar + 1cup water then boil and cool) for a little sweetness. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    Options
    Anything from the IBA's unforgettables list you don't know?

Thanks. I've never seen this list; http://www.iba-world.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=88&Itemid=532
    Member since 2009
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    Absolutely!  Go down the list in order! :)
     Brillat-Savarin
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Here's what we're having.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Whatever gets mixed up from this, could be a rough morning on Wednesday.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    DMW said:
    If I were you... I'd squirrel that bottle on the far left front row away, drink it over ice and tell people it's vodka :))
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    hapster said:

DMW said:

If I were you... I'd squirrel that bottle on the far left front row away, drink it over ice and tell people it's vodka :))

You mean the peppermint schnapps? ;)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    DMW said:
    DMW said:
    You mean the peppermint schnapps? ;)
    Duh... Of course! You don't want people finding out you got that high end stuff around the house :)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    DMW said:

"Somebody's gonna get pregnant"
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Z_Eggineer
    Options
    +1 on official IBA cocktails.

For margaritas,
    HAVE to use 100% blue agave tequila

Poor mans: El Jimador, Lime, Triple Sec, Fresca or Cuervo Mix (not their tequila)
    "Cadillac": Good (upper mid shelf) Reposado Tequila, Lime, Grand Marnier, Agave Nectar
    Options
    I think Margaritas are in order. I've never found a suitable "holiday" type cocktail that isn't overly sweet. I've got the good stuff, 1800, the square bottle, Cointreau, not triple sec, and limes. Shaken, to frozen. A kiss of salt on the rim. Agree 100% blue agave only! not the stuff that says, "made with agave".
    Member since 2009
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    How about a Negroni?

1 or 2 parts gin (depending on how you like it
    1 part Campari
    1 part sweet vermouth
    twist of orange

can be served up or on the rocks
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    never been good deciding on one drink :D i like the scopion idea that was mentioned, then a zombie, then a mia tai, and finish up with fogcutters, then after the ball drops some warmed up apricot brandy
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Budgeezer
    Options
    For something a little different we make out simple syrup with a habanero.  1 cup sugar, 1 cup water, 1 habanero with a couple of cuts in the side, boil until sugar is dissolved remove pepper, cool.  Get ready for a little heat in your margarita!
    Edina, MN