Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Years Eve Apps

I see a few are doing an appetizer party as well.  I need ideas.  I am planning on turtle eggs, pork shots, maybe some sweet and sour chicken(since my first batch turned out so good yesterday) and possibly a new recipe I came across for buffalo chicken-cheese balls(sounds weird but they look really good).  I obviously need some veggies to balance it out.  Probably will do just a regular vegetable tray with ranch dip.   Any suggestions? And what are you guys cooking up?
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    If you have a small fryer or deep skillet...Pulled pork eggrolls. Pork, red wine vinegar slaw and bbq sauce. ..I've yet to serve one without folks going nuts. Brisket is great also.

Slaw, rwv, evo and rub.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    Put a slice of jalapeño in the pork shots
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    henapple said:
    If you have a small fryer or deep skillet...Pulled pork eggrolls. Pork, red wine vinegar slaw and bbq sauce. ..I've yet to serve one without folks going nuts. Brisket is great also. Slaw, rwv, evo and rub.
    yes, I made those one time and they were great.  I'm just terrible at wrapping them.  I can't seem to get enough slaw in there, as it cooks down a bit.  Very good none the less...
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595
    I would have to smoke another butt too, no pork left!  Not exactly a problem though
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • ABTs, meatballs, little smokies wrapped in crescent rolls
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I really like potato skins off the egg, they are a big hit here to compliment the meaty sides.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • I'm doing a pork butt bar.  Going to do two butts, one bbq, one with just salt and pepper.  Then the guests will have their choice of  sandwiches, tacos, egg rolls, etc.  I'll have the fryer going for egg rolls and such and have some oriental and mexican seasonings and of course various sauces available to add to the lightly seasoned pork as those that desire it. 

Probably do meatballs, lil smokies, and wings as well.  I'm sure the wife will put out vegetables and fruit which won't be eaten so I will have to be consuming those over the following few days. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    We are planning this too as I have to work tomorrow and wont get home until 6.  We are having some friends over.

Planning on some apps and maybe a Pork tenderloin as well.  I need quick cooks.

Maybe Chicken bites (nite size chicken wrapped in bacon, raging river run and a sweet sauce on top)

Garnerville, NY
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Let us know how the buffalo chicken cheese balls come out. With a recipe if they work.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• henapple
    @Griffin....where you been hiding?
  • jls9595
    Griffin said:
    Let us know how the buffalo chicken cheese balls come out. With a recipe if they work.
    I will.  I'm thinking about testing them out today anyway.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Griffin
    henapple said:

@Griffin....where you been hiding?

Been super busy at work. Not sure if there's been a change on the forum, but for some reason I can't always type in comments from my computers at work. Also left for the holidays on the 20th. Spent some time in Corpus and have been holed up at our ranch outside of Goliad since the 24th with no access to the Internet. Kind of nice not being "in touch" with the world for awhile. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a buck this year.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin

Plus I haven't been doing much cooking on the Egg lately. :(

I did do a killer prime rib on my trusty ole offset at the ranch and a few rack of ribs but nobody here wants to see that and I forgot the cord to my phone to upload them anyway. Back to the conversation of apps now...

Rowlett, Texas

• henapple
    The ranch sounds nice... didn't mean to hijack your post. Sorry @jls9595
  • jls9595
    henapple said:
    The ranch sounds nice... didn't mean to hijack your post. Sorry @jls9595
    no problem henappleimage
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I'm Egging Moink Balls, ABTs, and chicken sausages. One of the guests will likely bring Oysters Rockefeller and spiced shrimp cocktail. Another one is bringing buffalo chicken dip, caramelized onion dip, deviled eggs, and pigs in a blanket. Mrs. 500 will make Knorr Spinach Dip and a veggie tray. I'm still trying to decide on the cocktail. I like to make a special one up in a large batch, then shake them individually just before serving. Beer, wine, and a sparkler at midnight.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009