Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheese Ruined??????

Since it is almost 50 today and supposed to be a high of 3 tomorrow with wind chills pushing it to negative 35 thought it would be a good day to take down the Xmas lights, smoke some cheese and sausage. Got my normal setup with soldering iron, tin can, peach wood,

Smoking

However, when the hour was up and I pulled the cheese off and the iron out I was left with this.

So since part of the plastic from the iron was melted and black will this make the cheese unsafe or impart a nasty taste?

Definitely ordering an amaze n smoker!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

Comments

• It may give it a nasty taste, I would let it rest for two weeks and sample it, see what it tastes like
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    edited December 2013
    Holy smoke!  not sure how your can is configured, this is how I do it, hole in the lid to insert the iron tip so the plastic handle is shielded... sometimes I turn off the power bar for 5 minutes intermittently, to conserve wood chips and reduce heat:

even so, I once had a close call with the blue iron, unlike the black one, the blue doesn't have a metal shield.  I now use the black only and keep some space between the handle and the can when smoking.  btw, we still ate the cheese from the blue iron :)

canuckland
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    once again people using tools for things in which they were never intended.  :):)  You were lucky you didn't cause an electrical fire in the outlet... 

kind-of like the guy that mangled his leg by using a lawn mower as a hedge trimmer and stumbled after stepping into a big hole he did not see.  

(and yes I know how to use a soldering iron being a former field service engineer repairing electronic equipment.)   

I would think you could accomplish the same thing by torching a single piece of lump charcoal and placing it in that same can with smoking chips.  much safer.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    See what it tastes like after the rest. If it tastes like plastic, pitch it. It may have a nice smokey flavor ! :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    edited December 2013
    My 'blue' batch tasted just fine after the rest, and I'm still here  :D
    canuckland
  • onedbguru said:
    once again people using tools for things in which they were never intended.  :):)  You were lucky you didn't cause an electrical fire in the outlet... 

kind-of like the guy that mangled his leg by using a lawn mower as a hedge trimmer and stumbled after stepping into a big hole he did not see.  

(and yes I know how to use a soldering iron being a former field service engineer repairing electronic equipment.)   

I would think you could accomplish the same thing by torching a single piece of lump charcoal and placing it in that same can with smoking chips.  much safer.
    Lot of truth to that! 

NW IA

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited December 2013
    correct! What a wonderful world this would be if we all used every single device exactly as it was designed for. I'm no field service engineer but I always found it shocking that my sister didn't burn our home down with her ez-bake-oven. I mean what kind of monster cooks brownies with a light bulb?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • correct! What a wonderful world this would be if we all used every single device exactly as it was designed for. I'm no field engineer but I always found it shocking that my sister didn't burn our home down with her ez-bake-oven. I mean what kind of monster cooks brownies with a light bulb?

=)) So true! 

NW IA

• Canugghead
    edited December 2013
    ummmmmm... radiation cooking (microwave), water bath cooking, soldering iron smoking, looftlighter, defrosting wet frozen egg with light bulb ...  X_X
    canuckland
  • "This cheese is tasty. What did you smoke it with?" ... Polyethylene :))
    Decatur, AL
  • One hyphenated word for you soldering iron smokers...Amaz-N-Smoker.  I had a stainless steel chamber air pump modded soldering iron smoke generator for years.  Now would never think to use it. Check it out...your taste buds will thank you.
    Love smoking chicken...but they are hard to keep lit ;-) http://daveyrayland.wordpress.com/ Small Egg / Weber OTG 22" / CharGriller Trio / Masterbuilt 30" Electric
  • One hyphenated word for you soldering iron smokers...Amaz-N-Smoker.  I had a stainless steel chamber air pump modded soldering iron smoke generator for years.  Now would never think to use it. Check it out...your taste buds will thank you.
    totally agree. for $40 it is a huge addition to your egg. Can't think of a single item that adds so much value for so little cash. $40 on here is basically free so listen up to Daveyray and get one.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    +1 for the ANS. Bought one recently after Cen-Tex forced me to. First batch of smoked cheese was a big hit at a recent party we had. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Already tried and they are on back order.

NW IA

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• @SmokeyPitt they are made not far from here so im waiting. Thanks though

NW IA