Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Semi Pulled Beef and Pepperoncini Peppers

Mattman3969
Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
edited December 2013 in Beef
Didn't want just a standard pulled beef so I went with beef and pepperoncini peppers. I recall someone here did it before but couldn't find the recipe. Started out with a 3 1/2lb chuckie on the egg at 250 till it hit 160IT and then I cut it in half and put in a divided foil pan. One side for sammiches and one side for soup meat. The sammich side had pepperoncini peppers,red onions and beef broth added(gonna use broth for soup), the soup side was onions and broth. image Bumped up the temp to 350 and put back on the egg covered in HDAF till it hit 205 then uncovered, pulled the meat and put back on egg uncovered for bout 1 1/2hrs. Could've gone longer but I want some broth left over for soup later image And the sammich on ciabatta buns with fresh slaw & fries image I was really impressed with the way the beef took on the pepper taste but wish the meat had pulled better. IDK why it didn't pull well cause I generally don't have a problem getting a chuckie to pull using this method. Only thing different was wrapping it in a pan instead of just wrapping in HDAF. I will do this again.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Looks good to me. I want tot try this. @mattman3969 is there a best size chuckle? I would have thought 3 1/2 too small to get that slow rendering for pulling. I find pork shoulders < 5-6 pounds don't do well for me. The cook, but don't get to that soft pull stage... Advice?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Mattman3969
    I have actually had better luck out of the 2lb chuckies but I will generally do 2 of them. This one was full of fat so I figured it would be awesome for a slow & rendering cook. Could've just been the meat itself.

analyze adapt overcome

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Looks awesome. 2 cooks in one! Great idea to divide the pan like that.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mattman3969
    Thanks @caliking. Only thing I would change is the size of chuckie. Needs to get smaller IMO

analyze adapt overcome