Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Follow-up on first cook

GeoM
GeoM Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did my first cook yesterday. You might recall that my plan was to do steaks at high temps. After reading several newbie's difficulties getting up to high temps I was determined that this was not going to happen to me. I studied every strategy for achieving screaming temps and employed them all. Unfortunately I succeeded too well. Humpty pegged 750 within 15 min! Feeling pretty proud I commenced my cook.
The subjects of this experiment were two 1 1/2 inch ribeyes. I seared them with no top and the vent wide open for 3 minutes and then flipped them. They looked pretty charred but I pressed on for another three minute sear on the other side. After this I shut it down for a 3 minute dwell and then pulled out my brand spanking new Polder. Boy was I shocked to get an internal temp of 150 which was way too done for my taste. I guess a kinda got carried away with the temp. I have no idea how hot I got but boy was it ever impressive. How should I proceed with my next cook? Should I try to get the temp back down to about 700 or should I just cut back on my sear times. Remember, these were some pretty thick steaks. If temp control is the answer should a put on my daisy wheel or just use the lower vent?
Despite the flame-thowing, the steaks still tasted great. Already looking forward to my next cook! Thanks in advance for your help.[p]GeoM

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    GeoM, you can leave the bottom vent open and use the top solid ceramic cap for a throttle control by simply placing it on watching the temps drop to your desired level, then remove and let it climb to 700 or ? and again alternating your on/off control temperatures at high levels.
    Just my method..others have their own.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    GeoM,
    Sure, cut back the sear to two minutes. You will start to get a feel of what works best for you. 2-2-3 would have proably gotten you the results you were looking for. Or if you like the charring you are getting, cut back on the dwell time. You could also try 650 to 700, and will probably notice a difference.[p]I never check the internal temp. A little pink and lots of juice and I am happy.[p]Glad it was a success for you. You learned a lot just by doing it.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    GeoM,
    I like rare steaks like you. A good vet should have a good chance of saving the critter. I like to sear at about 650 to 700F. I don't use any dwell time since the Egg is still quite hot and the meat continues to cook quickly. Most of my steaks (ribeyes) are 1 to 1 1/4" thick. Three minutes a side and pull them off will give you a nice medium-rare to rare steak. That is actually more done than I would like but I have to make some concessions to the wife.[p]For your 1 1/2" steaks, I would think that 3 minutes per side will give you what you want.[p]I control the heat, if necessary, by using the bottom vent only.[p]JimW