Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First shot at baby backs - Grade: B+

Options
As the title infers… they were decent, but I am sure i can do better.  Not really sure what I'd do differently… probably get a rib rack and make my own rub.

*  Two racks - cut in half, rinsed, dried and membrane peeled.
*  Heavy coating of mustard.
*  Rub combo of Bad Bryon's Butt Rub and John Henry's Pecan Rub.
*  LBGE set up for indirect w/ some soaked cherry and hickory chips w/ a drip pan. 
*  Almost five hours at 225 - 250 
*  Hit with some Sweet Baby Rays for the last 20 minutes.

Pretty tasty and tender… just not as orgasmic as I was hoping for.  Any suggestions?

South Florida - Large BGE (DOB:  12/07/2013)

Comments

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    They look good! Were the tough? On a low and slow, I'll foil mine for 1.5 to 2 hours. Total cook time will be 5 to 5.5 hours on baby backs.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • PA Dutch Egger
    Options

Look into 3-2-1 or variations thereof.  Foiling with honey and brown sugar really tenderizes the meat.

• Buckdodger
    Options
    Give yourself an A...look really good from here.

Opelika, Alabama
  • FaceDance
    Options
    They were pretty tender… not fall off the bone but pretty close.  I guess I'll try some foil next time.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Define orgasmic?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Fall off the bone ribs are not necessarily the best tasting ribs.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I love pizza and I love coffee, and one morning, I had leftover pizza for breakfast. Washed it down with coffee. It was not my favorite breakfast.

The point I am trying to make is that maybe it was nothing more than the Two different rubs didn't complement each other..

I see friends do this all the time, mixing rubs and sauces, thinking the more ingredients you add will make things better... I just think it makes things muddy.

Maybe pick the rub you like more and just use that next time, obviously they were of a good texture...

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Very good point @TheShaytoon. Sometimes less is more.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Texansurf
    Options
    I don't soak the wood chips I have found the flavor to be that of wet wood, I just smoke the chips without the water, aka steam, when heat is applied.   That may help.   Also it looks like the rub was rubbed on and created mustard-rub balls,  I like to dust the rub on the mustard coated meat.   This may help.   I also find that hickory is a little strong for pork, but that may be my South Texas Palate
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    Maybe neither of these contributed to your non orgasmic experience but I wouldn't soak your chips and I'd lose the mustard.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• canman
    canman Posts: 52
    Options

Everyone has their own idea of "orgasmic ribs", but to me I would lose the mustard and Sweet Baby Rays.

I enjoy mine with a good savory dry rub all the way through. With a sauce that is not to sweet on the side for dipping. I also use hickory, sometimes a little fruit tree in as well. Fruit wood pairs well with ribs (in my opinion).

Tullahoma, Tennessee.
  • SmokingInMO
    Options
    I use butter rather then mustard and if they fall off the bone they are over cooked.  You are looking for a good clean bite through not meat falling off the bone.  
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited December 2013
    Options
    With so many excellent home made sauce recipes out there, the first thing I would change is to loose the Sweet Baby Rays. IMO, high fructose corn syrup gives food a strange taste when it's cooked. If you want a sauce recipe I like, I will look it up and link it here.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • FaceDance
    FaceDance Posts: 289
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Thanks everyone… I appreciate all of the suggestions and advice.  Next time i'll make my own rub and sauce and see how that goes.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    They look perfect to me. Are you looking for "fall off the bone" type ribs?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Foiling for part of the cook will get you ribs that if you cook full slabs, you'll have to be very delicate with to keep them from breaking up when moving them.
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I have never used mustard...I coat mine with a little veg oil to make the rub adhere well...I also love sweet baby rays...but I only use it on the side and even then only 50/50...Found I like em without rub just as much...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    I agree with @TheShaytoon and a lot of the following comments.  I want to elaborate on his and some of the other points here a little.  

The sauce (if you use it - you don't have to), the rub, the binder, and the smoke are a dance.  They all work together to create a flavor experience WITH the meat. Too much of any portion will throw it out of balance.  

You don't 'have' to make your own rub and sauce to find your brand your barbecue.  I make my own rub only because I started with salt and pepper and built up a rub until i found what I wanted. That particular rub is pitiful on its own, but it sings with a sweet sauce like rays. (I prefer stubbs sweet heat now). I use that rub as a base for a dry rib and then use another rub in the middle of the cook to compliment it. 

If you made a solid rib on your first go round - that's awesome. They do look great btw.  I would buy some rubs and sauces. Mix and match them on some thin cut pork chops (cheaper and quicker than ribs and you get a general idea) to get an understanding of how they work together and what flavor profiles you like.  

What wood you use is also going to play a critical role. Hickory, oak and pecan are way different than apple, cherry and peach, all of which are way different than mesquite.  

Be prepared to have several cooks before you find what you are looking for.  Enjoy it - it's all part of the fun!