Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Work sharp ken onion edition knife sharpener review

Options

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    BTW- I reset my Shun to a 50/50 double bevel and it has never performed better. I think a lot of this multiple degree edging is really over thinking it. I can cut paper like a scalpel with an 8" chef's knife. I'm OK with that. And I can sharpen it with my eyes closed in 3 minutes

So what angles do you use for your shun centex now that your going 50/50??

Jamie,

after a little more thought, using belt sanders creates a convex (rounded angles) edge. there is an example of the convex edge in the link I sent you. The edges you refer to are really more for flat angle grinds. I'm not nearly qualified to answer if you can produce the angles you are after with convex angles but just google convex.....and a ton of reading will come up touting convex edges being the best overall edge you can get on a knife. Unless you have a very specific use for the flat, multi-angle grinds, most recommend a 50/50 convex edge if you can get it. You can't do that with anything other than flexible abrasives (like this thing). There is a ton of info out there so read up and see what's right for you. I had no idea why my knives were do much better when I had them professionally done on a belt sander.. I just knew they were way sharper and lasted way longer. Now I know why (convex edge). I also know why I was losing my edge so fast before that. I was sharpening a knife with 2 different bevels the same on both sides. I never reset the edge before the pro did it for me. I didn't even know they were different until today. Blind leading the blind :)). All I know is that I've next had a better, longer lasting edge than what I know now is a convex edge. Seems all the knife forums and experts are all over this as well. Works for me.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    BTW- I reset my Shun to a 50/50 double bevel and it has never performed better. I think a lot of this multiple degree edging is really over thinking it. I can cut paper like a scalpel with an 8" chef's knife. I'm OK with that. And I can sharpen it with my eyes closed in 3 minutes

So what angles do you use for your shun centex now that your going 50/50??

Jamie,

after a little more thought, using belt sanders creates a convex (rounded angles) edge. there is an example of the convex edge in the link I sent you. The edges you refer to are really more for flat angle grinds. I'm not nearly qualified to answer if you can produce the angles you are after with convex angles but just google convex.....and a ton of reading will come up touting convex edges being the best overall edge you can get on a knife. Unless you have a very specific use for the flat, multi-angle grinds, most recommend a 50/50 convex edge if you can get it. You can't do that with anything other than flexible abrasives (like this thing). There is a ton of info out there so read up and see what's right for you. I had no idea why my knives were do much better when I had them professionally done on a belt sander.. I just knew they were way sharper and lasted way longer. Now I know why (convex edge). I also know why I was losing my edge so fast before that. I was sharpening a knife with 2 different bevels the same on both sides. I never reset the edge before the pro did it for me. I didn't even know they were different until today. Blind leading the blind :)). All I know is that I've next had a better, longer lasting edge than what I know now is a convex edge. Seems all the knife forums and experts are all over this as well. Works for me.
    Pretty sure i'm just going to go 50/50 as well cause realistically I not going to want to mess around with differing beveled angles and id probably never achieve that anyways.Reset to 50/50 and be done with it...all that's impt to me is a sharp edge.Simple is better for my skill level.

Whats the warranty on this thing,there is one on ebay.ca for a reasonable price thru a good seller but  Im just not sure about warranty if going the ebay route???
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Folks, the chisel grind is crap. It came from the thought of being easy to sharpen in extremely primitive situations (like using a river rock). 

Cen Tex has a good method. 50/50 at 25 degrees. I do my knives something like this:

Self defense: 35 degrees

Every Day Carry: 25 degrees

Kitchen: 17ish degrees. 

I have one kitchen knife that I keep at 11 degrees. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    When do you use the 17* versus the 11* ?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • CANMAN1976
    Options
    Folks, the chisel grind is crap. It came from the thought of being easy to sharpen in extremely primitive situations (like using a river rock). 

Cen Tex has a good method. 50/50 at 25 degrees. I do my knives something like this:

So whats the difference?? Steeper angle makes a sharper edge??

• Little Steven
    Options
    And exactly why do I not have one of these?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Yes. A steeper angle will be sharper but weaker as the ground edge will be thinner and prone to chipping and nicks. Everything is a trade-off.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• CANMAN1976
    Options
    Ok Im about to pull the trigger on ebay (good seller with warranty) and have to ask if you had a knife with a 12deg/20deg bevel(my misono ux10) and want to go 50/50 at say 25 deg how do you do it?? Start off course to get a burr and work finer right and does this come with all the belts to achieve this??

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    This has caught my interest, I looked it up on Amazon.  I see they also have another model that is about half the price, seems to come with a few less accessories, but I think It might meet my needs.  I did not pull the trigger, will think for a bit.  All I would use it for is kitchen knives.  Any compelling reasons to spend the extra $80 and go for the more expensive Ken Onion model?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    Cookinbob said:

This has caught my interest, I looked it up on Amazon.  I see they also have another model that is about half the price, seems to come with a few less accessories, but I think It might meet my needs.  I did not pull the trigger, will think for a bit.  All I would use it for is kitchen knives.  Any compelling reasons to spend the extra $80 and go for the more expensive Ken Onion model?

See Centex comments above he said if you have a steady hand the cheaper one would be fine. I'm thinking I would want all the help I can get so the more expensive one will do nicely.

Lynnwood WA
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:
    When do you use the 17* versus the 11* ?
    for fun. I'm sick and have an itis
  • travisstrick
    Options

So whats the difference?? Steeper angle makes a sharper edge??

Sharper but won't hold the edge as long. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    double said:
    See Centex comments above he said if you have a steady hand the cheaper one would be fine. I'm thinking I would want all the help I can get so the more expensive one will do nicely.

I was wrong- the cheaper one has guides too. They are just not adjustable like the KO is. I'm not sure what the angle is set at for the cheaper version but if it's anywhere close to 20-25 degrees you will be fine with any kitchen knife. I could shave a gnat's ass with mine at 25 degrees.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Cen-Tex - quit making people spend money!!! :)

...  I could shave a gnat's ass with mine at 25 degrees.
    ...but I do love it when you talk dirty.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • double
    Options
    caliking said:

Cen-Tex - quit making people spend money!!! :)

...  I could shave a gnat's ass with mine at 25 degrees.

...but I do love it when you talk dirty.

My wife agrees with this, I'm just blaming Cen-Tex

Lynnwood WA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    50 degrees is a wide-ass angle for Japanese steel. None of mine are over 34 total.

You must have some huge gnats in Texas. You know, everything's bigger and what not.
  • double
    Options
    And mine will arrive on the 2nd...
    Lynnwood WA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    50 degrees is a wide-ass angle for Japanese steel. None of mine are over 34 total. You must have some huge gnats in Texas. You know, everything's bigger and what not.

I'll play with different angles but I like the durability of 25. I mean, I can shave paper like it's not there. how much more do you need?
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I see there are two guides on the cheaper model. 20 and 25 degree bevel. Maybe I too can shave a gnats ass soon!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    I see there are two guides on the cheaper model. 20 and 25 degree bevel. Maybe I too can shave a gnats ass soon!

I say go for it. I can't imagine how sharp mine would be at 20. I feel bad for the gnats in your area!
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    I keep my Japanese steel at 15 per side.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

cuz you a stone cold ninja....... image
  • CANMAN1976
    Options
    Done...just ordered mine from Cabelas Canada and it cost a little more but everywhere else is either outta stock or won't ship to Canada:(

Just like Christmas all over again:)

Jamie.

• Eggcelsior
    Options

cuz you a stone cold ninja....... image
    Because of you, CT, I'm listening to some some Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots this morning.

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Well crap, Cen Tex. I just noticed that this bad boy does 15 degrees. Might have to consider it. 
  • CANMAN1976
    Options
    So from researching a little I now understand 70/30 bevel and that has nothing to do with the actual angle itself.Mine is a 10-12 deg on the left and 20 deg on the right similar to the pic below.

Now I have to decide weather to go 15 deg left and 20 right or rehape 50/50 as the sharpener only goes down to min 15 deg???

• shadowcaster
    Options
    Ordering mine from Cabelas today. with gift cards and points its going to cost me $36.01. now I'm pumped
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    This looks really cool and simple but a 1000/6000 stone and 30 minutes of watching how to videos will give you more control and just as sharp if not sharper knives and save you $100. Once you know how to use a stone it takes a couple minutes a knife tops to get it razor sharp. The knife in the link below is a $15 knife from TJ maxx and its sharp enough to shave your arm. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hYGKhwx315A

This is my $70 Tojiro that people recommend on the forum to others alot. This is stropped to 60000 grit and is sharper than a knife should be. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2D7_10cIY7w

• JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    Just curious. Why is this better than a plain belt sander other than the attached angle guide? I've been using a belt sander with various grit belts and never had a problem getting a super sharp edge.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @Lit, I am still debating between a system or stones. I am quite happy with my local knife shop sharpening for $2/5 inches. I just want to get more involved with it in general.

Do you strop too?