Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drip pan question

My question is what is the advantage of using a drip pan besides the obvious keeping the plate setter clean ?
2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
Long Island N.Y.

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    The juices don't run off the plate setter and down on the lump giving off bad smoke
  • Okay that makes sense
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • I fill it will water and it helps keep moisture in the egg during a long or short cook.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Pan Keeps the cooker clean for the next cook. Foil the pan for easy pan clean up

T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Gravy?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• You know last night was the first time I used my plate setter and used a drip pan below it. I cooked a whole chicken. I had always since 1985 cooked a chicken direct right on the grate. People talk about bad smoke. I actually think it tastes better with the juices dripping down onto the lump. It always gave what ever I cooked the charcoal egg taste and was always juicy. So I'm really wondering if all this hype about the plate setter and indirect cooking is the best way to go. Next chicken I do will be right on the grate,,,,actually I will use my v rack so the bottom does not burn. Time to compare the plate setter way or the old way on the grate. I have a sneaking suspicion that on grate with the juices falling will again be the winner!!!
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    tjv said:
    Pan Keeps the cooker clean for the next cook. Foil the pan for easy pan clean up T

. In addition, I'll sometimes put a layer of foil on top of the plate setter as well.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    You know last night was the first time I used my plate setter and used a drip pan below it. I cooked a whole chicken. I had always since 1985 cooked a chicken direct right on the grate. People talk about bad smoke. I actually think it tastes better with the juices dripping down onto the lump. It always gave what ever I cooked the charcoal egg taste and was always juicy. So I'm really wondering if all this hype about the plate setter and indirect cooking is the best way to go. Next chicken I do will be right on the grate,,,,actually I will use my v rack so the bottom does not burn. Time to compare the plate setter way or the old way on the grate. I have a sneaking suspicion that on grate with the juices falling will again be the winner!!!

Sounds like you would really dig a spatchcock chicken,raised direct bout 400*. I totally agree with the burning if the drippings

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I use a foil pan with water so the drippings don't burn then I seperate out most of the fat and use that for the basis for my sauce or gravy.
  • @laserdoc85 two ways to do yard bird, first is raised direct, spatched at 400º, the skin will be crispy, second is indirect 350-400º with a drip pan, lots of rub and or season, crispy not so much, but the meat is heavenly moist.
    I always use a drip pan on my setter and seldom if ever use any liquid. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Try it direct on a v rack and judge for yourselves . Chickens are cheap.
     Set that dome around 325 and walk away and come back in a hour and a half. Heaven!!
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Make sure there's a gap between the drip pan and the plate setter (I use copper tees) so that the drippings do not burn; which would make them unusable and/or create bad smoke for whatever you're cooking.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.