Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket was amazing

Options
Loosemoose
Loosemoose Posts: 295
This is the first brisket I've cooked and actually got to enjoy. It was a 13 lb prime packer from Costco. I cooked it Travis method and it was awesome. My wife had never had brisket before and I think she's hooked.
The cook had some issues though. I cleaned my egg and filled it with royal oak. This was the first time using this lump and I knew I was screwed at the start. The entire bag is extremely small pieces and it only burned to temp for 6 hours. I then pulled the meat and finished it in the oven inside the house.
I am getting very tired of buying bags of lump only to find it tiny pieces that won't last for a long cook!!!
Nowhere Indiana

Comments

• drewmack
    Options

I have had much better luck with B&B lump.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Still looks like ya gotta a decent smoke ring.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Looks great. .. where are you located?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    I'm in northeast Indiana henapple.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I've used a lot of different brands of lump. I use Royal Oak mostly because Walmart is close by. I have a couple bags of Wicked Good sitting around too.

What has made this a no-brainer is when I find a LARGE piece of lump in the bag, I toss it in a dedicated container for large pieces to be used in low and slow cooks. I have this tall covered plastic can of pieces ready to go for butts, briskets, and ribs. I cook fast more than slow so the supply is always there.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    I like that idea Judy. It was the only bag I had and that may be my first mistake. If I had more I could have picked thru another bag or two and been ok.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    I have to try the Travis method.  Seems like lots of people get good results.  Your brisket looks great.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    Thanks DOTD, the recipe, knowledge gained here and the egg really made me look good on this cook.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Brisket looks outstanding!! I had the same issue with RO lump. I am a dump and light guy, no sorting, if I gotta sort I don't want it. Try to see if you can get Rockwood or Ozark Oak local and if not you can order from firecraft.com These lumps are top notch IMO and I don't get paid to say that.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    +1 for rockwood. Love it.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Loosemoose
    Loosemoose Posts: 295
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Thanks Mattman, I was just looking at the rockwood the other night online. I may just have to place an order here soon.
    It would be nice to have multiple bags on hand in case I run into the same problem again.
    I've been looking around local for different lump and have had no luck. I realize it might not be the best time of the year to find it right now.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • drewmack
    Options

Can you post what the recipe is for the Travis method. thanks, that looks great.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Here's a link to the original "Travis" Method". 

It's back: Travis Method

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138233/brisket-how-i-do-it/p1 

For the record @travisstrick has moved away from the above and become more traditional-and he has had some competition wins with the classic approach.  Perhaps he will be along to offer some insights.

BTW @Cen_Tex has been known to produce some eggcellent brisket using a traditional approach, even with heavy personal storm clouds

:)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    Thanks guys it was really good. I want to try the traditional method of smoking a brisket and will sometime soon. I have only had brisket a couple of times in my life so I wanted to try this method as it sounded kinda dummy proof.
    It kinda felt like a first baby step if that makes any sense to you. My wife had no interest in me trying a brisket cook as she had never had it before and it's a $30 hunk of meat. Now she knows it can be very good. Believe it or not she's not big on bbq or even much of a smokey taste.
    I can't stand the sweet bbq sauce and have just started to discover the vinegar sauces and they set much better with me.
    We are in our early 50's and we are smoked meat and BBQ infants. :)) But we are having a lot of fun with this egg thing. :D
    Nowhere Indiana
  • GoVols
    GoVols Posts: 216
    Options
    That looks great
    Tim Rickman,Tn.