Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not Sure Exactly What I've Got Here (Ribs)

I'm doing ribs today, and the recipe I'm trying calls for St. Louis cut spare ribs.  These were actually hard to find, in part because I wasn't able to get over to Costco (it's a long story).  I'd called around to a couple of places and was striking out - one place even told me they're not carrying them any more (commies!).  
SWMBO suggested I try this place a little ways out in Carrboro, one we'd seen before - basically a mom and pop type meat market.  I called and the lady on the phone checked and said they had them.  So I went and asked the butcher for them, and he went out in the back and got some.  I should have looked at them more closely when he first brought them out, because they seemed a little small to me.  Here they are on the cutting board:

A couple months ago I did some ribs from Costco, again St. Louis cut.  Here those are on the same cutting board (with some rub):

Hopefully the difference is clear.  Any thoughts on this?  Did the mom and pop place give me baby backs?  Or were they simply trimmed differently (or perhaps just a smaller pig)?

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments