Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To clean burn or not to clean burn... That is the question

I broke both rings last night doing a clean burn. Everything's back to the original creamy color. But it came at a cost. Do you clean burn or not? Why?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life

Comments

• I haven't done one yet out of sheer laziness.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I do at least once a year and sometimes twice. What do you mean "both rings"? An egg only has one ring and one firebox - so did both of those break? If you are the original owner those parts are under warranty though they will continue to be very useable!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Yes. Because it's fun.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Already emailed the pics to the dealer. When you clean burn, do you run WFO or do you control the temp.?

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    edited December 2013
    I am not in the clean burn camp as I haven't figured out the up-side besides a clean BGE that will then go thru the cycle once again.  And thus another clean burn with the potential , or in @GQuiz's case real, opportunity for ceramic failure.  (Here's the thread-How broke 'til I can't use it?)   Of course, there is the gasket issue as well.
    But many swear by it-although I'm sure my crud build-up adds to structural integrity, flavor and character.  FWIW-
    :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    GQuiz said:
    Already emailed the pics to the dealer. When you clean burn, do you run WFO or do you control the temp.?
    bottom vent wide open and no daisy on top and just let her rip and burnout overnight. I also remove my thermometer as the intense heat can wreck it.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GQuiz
    That's what I did. Weird.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I usually do a mini burn. If I've ended a cook and there's not much remaining lump I'll open it up...but not 1200 degrees
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Well I did my first one after 13 years so I don't think it is something you really need to do very often.
    Did my burn make a difference ????? I have no idea :)
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Makes me wonder ? Decided to give my xl it's first true clean burn for its 2 nd birthday. I had done a couple of mini burns , but the gunk build up was getting pretty bad. So I filled it with lump , put in my woo , cooking grid , and daisy wheel . Removed the temperature gauge and let ur rip . This mourning after removing the innards I removed the ash and wiped down the inside of the base and dome with a scotch brite pad. After I sucked the dust out with my shop vac there it was . A nice crack in the bottom of my base . Can't prove the clean burn caused this , but makes me wonder ?
  • GQuiz
    How often do people pull everything out to clean and check? I'm convinced it happens in the cool down. I'll cap it next time when it gets below 500. I don't think I'll let the thermometer start lap 2 again either.

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Ovens self clean around 650F so I've taken my Egg there a few times in two years to try and keep it from getting overly grimey. And when I do the AR goes in and gets cleaned up as well.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    It seems like a totally unnecessary process, if you use drip pans on your indirect cooks. I for one will never do a clean burn and risk damaging my egg.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I will do an occasional 500-600 burn if I am trying to burn up the rest of the lump This is hot enough to clean the PS or the stone of any gunk that might get on them. My egg has never seen anything above an accidental 700* in 7yrs.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    I just did one since I needed to replace my gasket. I now need to replace my thermometer and cracked my plate setter. Never again.
    Duncan, SC
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I do a pizza cook around 700* every few weeks. I've replaced a platesetter and fire ring so far under warranty.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • How many cracked bases have been sitting on paver stones? Mine was.
    Wondering if moisture between the stones and the base along with lack of airflow around the base could cause a cracked base ?
  • I've done a clean burn, and don't plan on it. After doing 12 comps a year and 20 plus test cooks and everyday cooking for the past 3 years, why remove all that good taste?