Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Listen to the Eggsperts and What Do You Get????

Options
Anthony Up North
Anthony Up North Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Since I got my BGE going on 9 weeks now, I have done 5 or six chicks butterflied and two beer butts. Most were done indirect and low (250-270) temps. They were all veru good. [p]But Tim M., Gfw, Char-Woody, and Fritz advised me to do birds at a higher temp. 300-350. Tonight I did a beer-butt bird that way. And it was fabulous. As Fritz predicted - 15 minutes to a lb. My slightly under 4 lb. chick was done in exactly 58 minutes (breast to 178). [p] Rub Lowery Seasoning Salt under skin. Brush sking with olive oil. Use 1/4 can of beer under sitter. Temp at 325-350. And what do you get? Most beautiful, picture perfect bird in both color and taste. No doubt the most fabulous tasting bird we (the wife and I) have ever eaten. Meat very moist and as Char-Woody said: It would fall off the bone. NO EXAGGERATIN! It was a great meal.[p]Thanks guys for your continued advice. Wonderful.[p]Anthony

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Anthony Up North, Quote Gfw..and NB...Life is Gooooooood. And so is chicken..:-)
    Way to go..!!
    C~W

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Man. Life sho do be grand.
    And the potential of learning on this forum is pretty substantial. Yeeeee Ha![p]I just made a post a bit ago with a URL for a name. Happens when you work til all hours 3 weeks straight.
    Must've pasted it in two places. Ooooops.
    Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Billy
    Billy Posts: 68
    Options
    Anthony Up North,
    My second meal on my new Egg was beer butt chicken. I cooked it at low temps, and was not happy with the results-it had no crispy brown skin, just a pale yellow soft outside. Since then I have been cooking my poultry at higher temps. They look like pictures out of a magazine. Crispy brown skin and still very moist inside. Listen to the pros on this forum. They already know everything that we would have to learn by trial and error. If I am now in doubt about something new that I am trying, I ask FIRST, rather than learning the hard way. These guys love to help.
    Billy

• VaDave
    VaDave Posts: 21
    Options
    Anthony Up North,[p]Thanks for bringing this one to my attention....I've just begun plotting ways to get out of DC early and drive back home in time to put a beer butt chicken on at these higher temps for dinner tonight. I can't wait to try it!