Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To Foil or Not To Foil

Options
GoHorns
GoHorns Posts: 22
I'm about to embark on my third brisket.  The first two turned out great, and were cook at 240 dome temp over a water-filled drip pan.  However, in hope of making the end result a tad more moist I am wondering if I should foil for part of the cook.

What is the consensus?

Thanks in advance...

Deep In The Heart of Texas...A State of Mine....

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I wouldn't but never have.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options

To throw more info for digestion your way-here's an article (scroll way down) about the "Texas Crutch" and one opinion   http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html The bulk of the article has lots of good brisket info.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FloridaTexan
    Options
    lousubcap said:

To throw more info for digestion your way-here's an article (scroll way down) about the "Texas Crutch" and one opinion   http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html The bulk of the article has lots of good brisket info.  FWIW-

I think this link is best.

After years of never wrapping this method has never treated me wrong -  Salt & Pepper rub, Inject with Beef Broth, and Foil @ 150.

I like to finish early and let it rest in the cooler for a few hours.  My recent packer sat in the cooler for almost 8hrs and once unwrapped came out hot.

• GoHorns
    Options
    I'm thinking that the last brisket I did was dry, not due to anything other than a piece of meat that was a bit too leans and stiff.

I'm gonna give the "Travis" method a try this weekend and see how that turns out.  

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I for one use to foil ribs, pork, brisket. I no longer foil anything. Best results have been no foil
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My last 2 briskets I let ride till they were butta. ..literally butter on a Houston sidewalk in July. It was 207 and 205 ...point and flat.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    Just me, but I normally never foil meat with a substantial fat cap like brisket or pork shoulder.  I do usually foil leaner baby backs though, but only for an hour or so.  The advantage to foiling a brisket could be that it will cook faster however if that is something you are concerned with.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• GoHorns
    Options
    I did the TravisTrick last weekend.  Unbelievably simple, and equally great results.  Couldn't ask for anything better.  

However, I did discover that a brisket-sized tin pan is slightly larger than what a large BGE will accommodate.  However, a crimp here and a crimp there and we were in good shape.

Started with a 13 pound brisket, trimmed at least a couple to three pounds of fat off... cooked at 280 degrees for ten hours...  Definitely the tenderest and most flavorful brisket I've done (fourth overall).

• fairchase
    Options
    I don't foil.
    Also a 270-280 dome temp as yielded better briskets for me than lower temps .