Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked some pheasants..came out great

Options
Hoosier
Hoosier Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We had a great trip to South Dakota earlier this Fall and I've been doing my standard recipe for them (bone out the breasts, pound them then, cut into strips, stuff with cream cheese and a jalepeno pepper, wrap with bacon and grill)

Those always come out great, but I wanted to try to smoke a few for Christmas Eve so...

I was really worried about them drying out so I brined overnight in the following:
1 quarts apple juice
1/2 pound brown sugar
1/2 cup kosher salt
2 oranges, quartered
2 ounces fresh ginger, thinly sliced
7 whole cloves
3 bay leaves
3 large cloves garlic, crushed

Got all that simmering until the sugar and salt desolved, then let it cool down to room temp. When cool, I added in about 2 quarts of ice and water. Put all that in a big cooler with two pheasants. Brined them overnight. Next morning did a quick rinse and patted them dry. I didn't want them to taste like bacon so I just put a couple of pieces of bacon on each pheasant.

Set up my large with plate setter legs up, an old roasting pan into which I poured the leftover brine, and put my grid right on top of that pan.

Smoked at 225 with a very generous amount of apple wood for about 3 1/2 hours and pulled when the breasts were at about 145.

Absolutely fantastic. I shared last night with the extended family and I wish I would have done at least 3-4 more pheasants. They went quickly. I'll definitely be doing this one again.

Final results: PheasantCook.jpg

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Those look awesome!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • MountainGriller
    Options
    WOW - I bet they were good - Merry Christmas!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    You sold me on the idea. The freezer is awful full of Roodies at my place.

Try this sometime:

Pheasant Neuburg

Cream of mushroom soup
    Cream of chicken soup
    green olives
    mushrooms (in a jar)
    bacon(BB is best)
    peperocinis
    hot sauce
    heavy whipping cream
    buncha bird cooked and shredded (not chopped)

cook the bird and bacon and then combine it all in DO or crock pot and let simmer for a couple hours. It can be served over any starch, but my favorite is over eggs and hashbrowns.

quantities are based on how much bird used and it has always been a "wing-it" type of recipe, that will knock your socks off.

What part of SD? I was in Eureka ripnem a couple weeks ago.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    You cooking that in February? :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    You know I'm game ;)
  • Hoosier
    Options
    Let's see...cream of mushroom soup, bacon, cheese....Yeah, I think that would be up my alley! I will definitely give it a try.

We go up to SD pretty much every year at least once or twice. We've hunted around Mitchell, Winner, Murdo, Piere, Aberdeen. This year we want WAY up there and did a combo deer/pheasant hunt up in Lemmon. 8 guys and 15 dogs.
  • jonnieAZ
    Options
    From Mitchell...born and raised..always good hunting!!
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :ermm: what do pheasant taste like??
  • They taste like chicken silly. Except they have fancy feathers.
  • Hoosier
    Options
    Funny! And, kind of true. The breast meat is a white meat with just a very subtle taste that is more like a game hen than a standard chicken. Wild pheasants spend ALOT of time running around and their legs/thighs are very, very dark and can be somewhat gamey and have alot of sinew/tendons. The meat is extremely lean which is why it is so important to not dry it out however you cook it.

And yes, the roosters do have those crazy head/neck colors!
  • redsrage
    Options
    I am doing this today! Brined 11 pheasant last night!  Wondering if I can freeze some after brining to smoke later.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Just went yesterday- have 12 in the fridge. Will be cooking them tomorrow and will give this a try.
    Greensboro, NC
  • redsrage
    Options
    Won't smoke pheasant again. Too dry