Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Attempt at Baby Backs

Options
GoHorns
GoHorns Posts: 22
I decided to try my luck with Baby Backs.  Went to Matador Meats in Plano, Tx (if you are in the area, I recommend them.  Gave them a good coating of John Henry's Sugar Maple rub, and let them sit overnight.

Then I fired up the BGE and settled the dome at 250.  Using Royal Oak, and Hickory chunks.

Cooked them foil-free for three hours, foiled for two, and then open again for the last hour.

These ribs from Matador have more meat than some pork chop I've seen.  However, the end result was very good.  Good, smoky flavor and moist and tender.  Very pleased with the outcome.

Deep In The Heart of Texas...A State of Mine....

Comments

• michigan_jason
    Options
    Don't take this the wrong way, but was that pic taken after they sat out for a while? They look really, and I mean, really dry. Again, please don't take offense, I am just speculating and questioning.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• GoHorns
    edited December 2013
    Options
    No offense taken, I agree.... the pic doesn't do justice... They were actually quite most.  In any case, they're gone now!  :-j ... at least that rack is...  My wife, son and I could only manage one rack between the three of us...

• nicklentini1
    Options
    When you foiled them did you use any liquid in the foil like apple juice?  Im going to try my first rack on Saturday

2 LBGE's, Mathews Z7 Extreme putting meat in my EGG, Lovin life in South FL

• GoHorns
    Options
    No, but they were still quite most... When I removed the foil, there was a couple of tablespoons of juice that had accumulated...