Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket on for lunch/dinner tomorrow

Options
Howdy all, Merry Christmas..

Just put on a prime Angus brisket from Costco, 12 lbs to be ready for lunch tomorrow. We decided lunch was a good choice since we can have brisket for dinner also. :)

Also doing turbo ribs and sausage, that's tomorrow's problem.

I'm thinking this brisket should finish around 9 am at the earliest, perfect for ftc and lunch at noon or 1.

Also, taking temps in the thickest part of the flat, not the thickest part of the beast. Should improve my results.

Got some Johnny walker double black from a friend to see me through...
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Enjoy! Merry Christmas to you as well.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I've posted this pic a couple times, but here's a little info:

I put the brisket on around 9:30p.m., and it finished at 11:30a.m. Egg stabilized at 230-ish all night. ftc until 2:30.

That gave me plenty of time for turbo ribs and sausages. Did 2 racks of baby back ribs for 2 hours at 350, no peek, with salt lick rub. T
    Once they passed the bend test and I pulled and wrapped.

I put on sausages for about 20 minutes at 350 to get a nice snap on the skin. Earl Campbell hot links and Southside market jalapeno sausages.

As I've been caught...I cut the point with the grain for a bit before I caught myself and turned it - man those slices were stringy! My fil struggled with one for a while. Also, this is swmbo slicing sausages...or is it?

Made mashed potatoes and coleslaw too. Mil brought soup, bread and killer salsa. I have a ton of leftovers. We had 9 people total, and I cooked enough for 20.
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    I have a question on your first picture. I think I see your temp probe in the flat under the point?
    I am doing a brisket tonight and I have always heard to put the probe in the thickest part of the flat but would love to see a picture of exactly where folks put it as the terminology of the brisket is pretty foreign to me.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • sumoconnell
    edited December 2013
    Options
    You're right @loosemoose..I put the probe in the flat, right about where the point and flat first meet. It's about 1/2 to 2/3 up the brisket from the flat. That was the thickest part of the flat muscle. The probe you see in the foreground is the pit probe, my food probe is in the other side.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    A full day of brisket? Great idea!

I wrote a song about it. Like to hear it? Here it goes...

Brisket in the mornin',
    Brisket in the evenin',
    Brisket in the afternoon!!!

I really need to get off my butt and rake some leaves.  :-<
    Gittin' there...
  • sumoconnell
    Options
    Procrastination: hard with often pays off over time, but laziness pays off right now.
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification sumoconnell.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Did you steal Ron Burgundy's shirt?

X_X
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • sumoconnell
    Options
    I was drinking scotch...scotchy scotch.