Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stainless steel vented cap?

Hey all....I just ordered the new stainless cap how do you guys like it??
I believe it comes with a piece of nomex as well so does it shut down similarly to how the daisy wheel did??

Santa promo code still works saved almost 8 bucks:)...thanks for that RRP :)

Jamie.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• I like mine quite a bit. It does take some experimenting.....but it looks Cool
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I buried my cast iron daisey last May when I switched to that Smoke Ware product. Trust me it has a learning curve as short as your arm and it is smooth sailing from there!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I love the thing. Like RRP said there isn't much of a learning curve as such - it took me longer to figure out the DFMT! I especially love the fact that i don't have to switch between the ceramic cap and the DFMT, since this thingy can adjust temp and shut the fire down. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414

I put off getting it, but finally did and am glad to have it.  Settings don't change when I raise and lower the lid, and I don't have to worry about the rain.

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    With the vents on it wide open, how hot can you get the egg? Been thinking about getting one but was wondering if I would be messing around taking it off to grill at higher heat. Does it go on and off pretty easily?
    XL BGE
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I just love mine.  For highest heat,I just lift the top portion off and boom!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Yea I pretty much love mine too. Wish they made it for the small.

I did burn up the nomex and I've only had it a couple months. I have done a few pizzas and two clean burns.

XLBGE 
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    edited December 2013
    So do you put the nomex on the egg or inside the steel cap? Looking forward go trying it out! Best of all I won't have to deal with my ceramic cap anymore the damn thing is always froze To the egg and it takes some heat and elbow grease to get it off in the winter before each cook.

• Hmm, I got one of those stainless steel caps and it had some of that felt(nomex?) in the box with it, but didn't think I needed it since there was already felt(nomex?) on the top to accommodate the daisy wheel and ceramic cap.  Am I supposed to add the additional felt(nomex) to the top of the egg or replace the felt(nomex) that's already there? 
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • I have been tossing this onr around for awhilr now. I really have no problem with the daisy wheel and I have never had a problem with the rain. So do I really want to spend the money to get one, actually 2 because if I get 1 I have to get 2 so my eggs match ;) or do I use that $$ for other eggssories that I really want!
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • CANMAN1976
    edited December 2013

I have been tossing this onr around for awhilr now. I really have no problem with the daisy wheel and I have never had a problem with the rain. So do I really want to spend the money to get one, actually 2 because if I get 1 I have to get 2 so my eggs match ;) or do I use that $$ for other eggssories that I really want!

Get a high que fire grate first it works great the cap is cool but not as necessary I don't think.

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I got the cap for Xmas.  I wanted it for cooking in down pours and to be able to set it and not have to reset the DFMT every time I opened the Egg.  Some times I set the Egg and have my wife of someone check on the cook and they do not know how to reset the DFMT or worse it closes and we forget to reset it and the fire goes out.

Garnerville, NY
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited December 2013
    Hmm, I got one of those stainless steel caps and it had some of that felt(nomex?) in the box with it, but didn't think I needed it since there was already felt(nomex?) on the top to accommodate the daisy wheel and ceramic cap.  Am I supposed to add the additional felt(nomex) to the top of the egg or replace the felt(nomex) that's already there? 
    When placed inside the cap itself then you won't have a problem when you do a burn out since the gasket will not be on the ceramic to melt and get yucky!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I have been tossing this onr around for awhilr now. I really have no problem with the daisy wheel and I have never had a problem with the rain. So do I really want to spend the money to get one, actually 2 because if I get 1 I have to get 2 so my eggs match ;) or do I use that $$ for other eggssories that I really want!

Get a high que fire grate first it works great the cap is cool but not as necessary I don't think.
    I have been looking at the high que fire grates...how do they work with low n slow cooks. With more air flow do you burn through the lump quicker and is it harder to maintain a low temp? I guess that is my only concern about switching.
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • I tried it and it wasn't for me. i found a good home for it and I'm sure it's being enjoyed. I definitely recommend putting the gasket on the cap and not the egg. You can switch around and use your daisy if you want and it won't melt to your egg when you go hot (you can just take the cap off).

I could never consistently hold low temps, which is the only thing I wanted it for (long cooks in case it ever rains here again). I really never had any issues cooking in downpours anyway but I thought it was cool. I would be totally shut down and temps would crawl up to 300. maybe I could have given it more time but I really like the control I get with the daisy and I've never had any problems keeping the daisy set when I open and close the egg. If you do, it's a very basic fix that every egger should know, but that's another thread. 

For $40 though, you can't go wrong to try it. I'm glad I did.I learned something and It made someone happy when i gave it to them and now they are learning and enjoying using it. $40 well spent in my book.  Most things recommended on here are $300 so this is one of those things that you can play with and move on if you don't like it. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    I tried it and it wasn't for me. i found a good home for it and I'm sure it's being enjoyed. I definitely recommend putting the gasket on the cap and not the egg. You can switch around and use your daisy if you want and it won't melt to your egg when you go hot (you can just take the cap off).

I could never consistently hold low temps, which is the only thing I wanted it for (long cooks in case it ever rains here again). I really never had any issues cooking in downpours anyway but I thought it was cool. I would be totally shut down and temps would crawl up to 300. maybe I could have given it more time but I really like the control I get with the daisy and I've never had any problems keeping the daisy set when I open and close the egg. If you do, it's a very basic fix that every egger should know, but that's another thread. 

For $40 though, you can't go wrong to try it. I'm glad I did.I learned something and It made someone happy when i gave it to them and now they are learning and enjoying using it. $40 well spent in my book.  Most things recommended on here are $300 so this is one of those things that you can play with and move on if you don't like it. 
    I agree with Cen-Tex.  I usually am cooking above 300 so I keep the daisy off most of the time. When I do use it, it isn't much trouble for me.
    Milton, GA.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    I burned/melted my cap gasket. I haven't replaced it and it works fine so I might just stay "naked" for a while.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • caliking said:
    I love the thing. Like RRP said there isn't much of a learning curve as such - it took me longer to figure out the DFMT! I especially love the fact that i don't have to switch between the ceramic cap and the DFMT, since this thingy can adjust temp and shut the fire down. 
    Oh cool, I didn't know I could shut the fire down just by closing the stainless steel cap.  I thought I had to use the ceramic cap to snuff out fire thinking that maybe there was still some airflow with the stainless steel cap with vents closed.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    If you have multiple Eggs in the Med-XL sizes putting the gasket on the inside of the cap lets you move it between Eggs as needed.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    edited December 2013
    Santa brought me 2 one for each Egg and I tried one today for the 1st time and I love it I didn't really notice much difference in using it as opposed to the DFMT
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • CANMAN1976