Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How broke 'til I can't use it?

Did a clean out burn last night. Woke up to this. Know I can cook with a broken fire ring. But the bottom ring was cracked clean through, too. Safe? This is the second fire ring to bite it. What am I doing wrong? I ran it to 900 and let it cool naturally. Should I have capped it before calling it a night?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    edited December 2013
    I cooked already with a cracked base. You can keep cooking until your new parts come in. Take pics and send them to your dealer. You aren't doing anything wrong. It happens. I just cracked my third fire ring this past week. So far I've cracked a base, 2 fire rings, fire box, and plate setter.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    But these are broken clean through... still ok to cook? @mickey, @henapple, @villageidiot, @lousubcap... Thoughts.

• My firebox was clean through along with my fire ring. The only thing holding the base together were the bands. I didn't realize or I wouldn't have cooked with the broken base. I've seen other posts with broken parts. Some use JB Weld to put them back together
    Mark Annville, PA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Why wouldn't it be ok to cook with still?  Just put them back in place, it's big enough pieces and cook. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    No problem to use it
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GQuiz
    Anytime I run a clean burn, should I cap it when it gets back down to a reasonable temp? I think it cooled too quickly because I ran it WFO and left it open overnight. (no top cap and bottom vent wide open). This is the second fire ring.

• GQuiz
    Also, the smaller portion of the bottom ring wants to lean. OK to wedge with a rock to keep it in place?

• Go to your dealer and they will replace whatever is broken 1st you need to take pixs if broken stuff give them to dealer and they will e-mail the mother ship and then you will get replacement parts but tell the dealer to wait till they have a order coming so you dont gave to pay the shipping
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    edited December 2013
    The above comments about cooking with the broken parts makes sense to me.  The fire box and fire ring provide structural integrity to the inside but if you can effectively get them to hold their form there should be no impact on your cooks.  JB weld works for platesetters and possibly the fire ring-but the fire box sees the high heat from the lump so I don't think it will hold up.  Never used it on the fire box so hopefully someone will be along with real data.  I would go with it til the warranted parts come in.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GQuiz
    It's a quarter section that broke on the bottom ring, next to the slot that exists over the bottom vent. I need to wedge it up to maintain its position. Will probably use a small river rock. My biggest concern is the cause. When you run a clean out burn, do you cap it when it is still in the 400 - 500 range or do you let it run completely out? This is my second fire ring.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    No help with the clean burn as I don't subscribe to the process.  Many do and hopefully they will be along with some insights.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GQuiz
    Maybe that's a lesson learned. I'd be curious as to what everyone does, especially y'all who have been cooking on this thing as long as you have.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    If you could see the firebox and ring in my little kamado you'd laugh. You'll be fine laying it in and cooking. As to why...who knows? Is your egg elevated. ..airflow? Guitar...damn that's a lot of broken stuff...but at present I have a crack in box, ring and halfway across the ps. I wonder if this is common across all kamados?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    I have only had my egg for 7 months?   But the most I have done is let all the lump burn out at a steady temp of like 500 degs.  That was only to ensure I had all my airflow holes open for my Christmas pork loin .   I don't really see myself doing a high temp clean burn.

I have another question for all you eggers.   I see nice clean place setters in your pix.  Is there a reason not to just scrape off the crud and put it back in? or am I doing it wrong?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• GQuiz
    @henapple, do you do a clean burn ever? I try to twice a year. Pull out all the parts and sweep it out and inspect. This is my last grill. Gotta make it last. If a burn is stupid, I'll stop it. Good conversation to have in Salado.

• GQuiz
    bucky925 said:

I have only had my egg for 7 months?   But the most I have done is let all the lump burn out at a steady temp of like 500 degs.  That was only to ensure I had all my airflow holes open for my Christmas pork loin .   I don't really see myself doing a high temp clean burn.

I have another question for all you eggers.   I see nice clean place setters in your pix.  Is there a reason not to just scrape off the crud and put it back in? or am I doing it wrong?
    I foil my place setter.

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    bucky925 said:

I usually use a foiled drip pan. Wrap up the foil and throw it away.
    Milton, GA.
  • henapple
    @GQuiz. ..I'll let a low amount of lump go wild after a cook but I don't get crazy. I think it helps clean the grease out. You going to Salado?
  • Ive never done a clean burn. I just empty everything and scrape what I can then use shop vac. Dont see the need in a clean burn?

Little Rock, AR

• GQuiz
    @henapple Making the trek to Salado. Only way to get promoted to Tenderfoot. ;-)

• henapple
    Tender liver...you'll have a blast. You better be cooking.
  • henapple
    @GQuiz...where are you located?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited December 2013
    Though I already had a replacement fire box in my garage I used my old one that was in 7 pieces for nearly 3 years. Gravity held the pieces in place long after the JB Weld gave up! Rutland makes a refractory product that could withstand the intense heat to bond the parts but gravity was easier!

BTW for those who don't believe an occasional burn out is necessary or those who feel it must be limited to say 500 degrees then I respect your opinion, but once you cook as long as many of us burn out folks have and the amount of grease and creosote builds up then you'll become a believer!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GQuiz
    henapple said:

I live in Schertz

• GQuiz
    My dealer was open for business today. Josh at Jeff's Backyard already ordered top the new firebox and fire ring. Should have them next week. Gotta love the warranty and the incredible customer service.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    GQuiz said:
    My dealer was open for business today. Josh at Jeff's Backyard already ordered top the new firebox and fire ring. Should have them next week. Gotta love the warranty and the incredible customer service.

I'm glad for you and it sounds like you have a good dealer. I have to brag about my dealer though in that he has long made it a practice that if you walk in with a warranty problem then you walk out with the solution in hand. I've seen his replacement inventory and it rocks!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I never do a clean burn... kind of like the thought of the flavors and smoke from the old cooks adding to the new ones.  No idea if there is any science to this.  I just like the visual.

I think I also remember reading the other night in Serious BBQ that APL says to keep em "dirty" unless its flaking off...
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• henapple
    GQuiz said:

henapple said:

I live in Schertz
    Schertz?
  • henapple
    Tx...you should hook up with @Cazzy.
  • GQuiz
    Didn't @cazzy move east? I know he was in San Antonio. You live in the land of George Dickel, right? Ever go to Tullahoma for tastings?