Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Half pork loin - Reverse sear?

Having my family over to exchange gifts tomorrow as we came home from my wife's family in Ohio today.  Was wanting to cook a half pork loin and thought about doing a reverse sear.  Would this work for a pork loin?  I generally sear the loin first and finish in the oven if I didn't have the Egg, so I figured I could get by with a reverse sear.  Below is what I thought about doing.  

1.  Rub with EVOO and apple cider vinegar
  2. Rub with salt, pepper, garlic powder
  3. Heat Egg to 250° and cook till 140°?  
  4. Remove the loin.  
  5. Increase Egg temp to 500°
  6. Sear until internal is around 150° ish?  
  7. FTC for 30 min or so?  
  8. Enjoy
Anyone done a whole pork loin this way before?  Any idea about an estimated time?  Any suggestions or recipes please help!  Thanks in advance.  
Thanks,

Matthew
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"Be kind; as everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about"
Thomasville, NC - Large BGE - Medium BGE - Plate Setter - Maverick ET-733 - BBQ Guru Party-Q (new design ) Pizza Stone - BGE V-Rack - Weed Torch (to light egg) - Grid Extender - Bayou Classic 14" CI griddle
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Facebook
My Photography Site
·

Comments

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,595
    I usually don't sear just smoke indirect. ..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,545
    When I do pork loin, I just rub it down, then about 350 indirect with smoke to 145ish IT.  Usually 1-1/2 hours about does it.  I FTC'd once but only for about 1/2 hour.  At 350 there is no need to sear.   It will have a nice bark and be really juicy as long as you don't overcook it.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 851
    Agree. No sear.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • Nicholas_WettonNicholas_Wetton Posts: 75
    edited December 2013
    I did 2 bone in pork rib roasts on Boxing Day. One had 9 ribs and the other 5. I brined them overnight. I seared them for around 10 minutes on each side at 600,pulled them off while I set up for indirect and put them back on at 425 until they reached 140. I let them rest for 30 minutes before carving. The meat was very tender.
    Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE
    ·
  • tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 3,747
    Okay thanks guys.  Looks like I will just go 350 indirect till 145-150° pull and FTC and carve.  Thanks for the advise guys! 
    Thanks,

Matthew
    Thomasville, NC - Large BGE - Medium BGE - Plate Setter - Maverick ET-733 - BBQ Guru Party-Q (new design ) Pizza Stone - BGE V-Rack - Weed Torch (to light egg) - Grid Extender - Bayou Classic 14" CI griddle

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    ·
  • tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 3,747
    @Nicholas_Wetton - That is how I typically cook a pork loin on the stove and it has always came out great.  Would probably come out great on the egg too!  
    Thanks,

Matthew

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    ·
  • Ive reverse seared several. I just dont crank the heat up quite as high. Maybe only 450 or 500. Gives a nice crust.

Little Rock, AR

·