Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small or medium

I have a large egg and love it and was wanting to add a second egg to the family. I would like to be able to take it to the lake with me every once and a while but not to often. I am debating between a small and a medium. The mini is too small for what I want to use it for. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
LBGE And MINI Egg

Comments

• awm
    awm Posts: 181
    I just got the small to go with my large ,and am looking forward to using them both. I love the fact that the small is light enough to bring on trips but still big enough to get some food on it
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    How many are you cooking for when you're at the lake? If it's 2 people, get the small. If you're tight on space when heading to the lake, get the small. Otherwise, I like the extra space of the medium and it's not hard to transport.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Large/small combo is the shiznit. There are just 2 of us so cooking real estate isn't huge. The small is a work horse once you figure it out and it sees prolly 80% of my cooks

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • I can't speak for the medium, but I have a large / small combo and I love it.  We use the small for every day cooks.  I have a family of 4 and it is plenty big enough to do 4-5 steaks, beer can chicken with room for potatoes, etc. 

If your family is larger than that, then you might want to consider the medium.
    Texas Aggie transplanted in Georgia
    Large BGE, Small BGE, more accessories than I'm willing to tell the Mrs. about.

• I have a medium/large combo and have never ran out of room. The medium is great for doing smaller stuff and the large is the one for bigger cooks. I do have them both going at the same time quite a bit and that is the beat thing in the world. I would really consider the medium, I dont think you will be be disappointed
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • glc203
    glc203 Posts: 45
    Can a good sized spatchcocked bird fit on a small?
  • Depending on your level of fitness I'd say get a med. I'm able to move my med fairly easy and a small is, well……… small. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    glc203 said:
    Can a good sized spatchcocked bird fit on a small?

I have cooked a 5-6lb spatched with no problem

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Both sizes aren't too bad to move if you take everything out. The nice thing about the small is if you aren't carrying it far you can pick it up and move it without removing things. It really depends on what you want to cook and for how many people. If you are doing just quick cooks like burgers and dogs you can cook for a decent amount of people. I did 2 8 pound shoulders on my small once on their sides and the lump made it through and they fit but barely. I had the thermometer through the dfmt.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited December 2013
    I have a small with a CGW two-tier swing rack. Easy to move and there is plenty of room to cook for a crowd. 

I did a 11.5 lb ham for Christmas on my small while I had a 14 lb turkey on the large. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I have a medium and I am planning on getting an XL to go with it. The medium serves my family of 4 well, and is pretty light. I'd go with medium.
  • I like my small, but it's the most neglected of all my eggs. It suffers from air flow issues, and the medium is a fire breathing monster. My medium is my fav egg.