Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stupid brisket ?

Options
Getting ready to put on a 13 lb. packer. If I don't want to mess with burnt ends, do I just cook to desired tenderness in thickest part of the flat, pull it off and FTC or do I need seperate the point at that time and continue to cook the point? Just confused as I delays read about the point needing more time. How do you guys that make whole packers get it all to come out at the same time? Thanks.
XL BGE

Comments

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Stupid auto correct. The "delays" above should be "always". In case I wasn't clear, I just want to slice the flat and point. Just wondering if I need to take the point off when the flat is done and continue to cook the point.
    XL BGE
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    No need to remove point. Though when slicig removing the point can be helpful to make sure you are cutting it across the grain. The way the grain runs in a brisket can be tricky.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    Options
    I'm no expert so please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that the point is actually done before the flat because of the fat content of the point. I thought that was the reason to always put the probe in the flat and not the point.
    XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • SPRIGS
    Options
    Kruegs said:

I'm no expert so please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that the point is actually done before the flat because of the fat content of the point. I thought that was the reason to always put the probe in the flat and not the point.

I'm a newby to packers - only done 3 or 4 so I could very well be mistaken. I always assumed the point took longer due to the idea of cutting it off and continuing to smoke the point to render more of the fat. Thanks for the tips! I appreciate it.

By the way - my plan is to cook on a pan with allegro and shiner bock (Travis method) at 250-275 until internal in thickest portion of flat is 185. Take it out of pan, place directly on rack for rest of cook to hopefully firm back up the bark. When the probe slides in and out with very little resistance, FTC a few hours until time to eat. Will defat the pan juices, reheat and then use on the meat when we serve. Missing anything? Should I change anything? Thanks again!!

XL BGE
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Travis method is usually for a flat. ..anyhoo, my points are done before the flat. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SPRIGS
    Options
    Crap. Thought I saw where several guys were using it for packers too. Oh well - gonna try it and see how it goes. My other efforts at packers have been less than stellar so I can't imagine this can be much worse! Ha.
    XL BGE
  • Springram
    Options
    The Travis Method is a wonderful way to cook brisket. Just be aware of the meat temp and/or the tenderness if doing a flat ....use your probe or even a bamboo skewer to check tenderness.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • SPRIGS
    Options
    I will have the maverick in the thickest portion of the flat and plan to start checking for tenderness at around 195 understanding it could be up around 205 or so before it's done. Thanks!
    XL BGE
  • Jwright11
    Options

if you are separating the flat and point after a certain time why wouldn't you do burnt ends?

I wrap my flat and put in a cooler for a while the burnt ends are going then put it back on near the end.  That may not be the best way to do it but it works for me.

• glc203
    glc203 Posts: 45
    Options
    You can keep the point on or remove it. Your choice. The point will be just fine on its own whether you do the whole burnt ends process (continuing to cook with sauce, etc) or not. I like making sammys with a mix of flat and point.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I go for a low maintenance cook. I don't separate, cook to temp in the thickest part of the flat, and check that the probe can go in like butter for doneness. The point does fine, let it ride along, never even check the temp. Be sure to ftc and cut against the grain. I recently forgot - cut a few point slices with the grain before I caught myself. Even when I slice, I don't separate. When I cut point pieces, the flat on bottom is still a bit against grain and does fine. Saw that in some video that cen-tex posted.

Last but not least, wear a leopard print blouse while slicing. :)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • SPRIGS
    Options
    Turned out pretty good. Moist and tender. The point was sliced but was gone before I got a pic.
    XL BGE
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    That's a brisket home run!  Congratulations.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    nice sprigs. Well done sir.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    That is one heck of a smoke ring!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SPRIGS
    Options
    Thanks. Used Bad Byron's Butt Rub and smoked with oak .
    XL BGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SPRIGS said:

There is another guy on here who does it that way.....I'll have to try that :))
  • SPRIGS
    Options

SPRIGS said:

I know!!! Ha!! I have started using oak on all beef. Even using it combined with peach for pork. I love oak and it is readily available here so not having to buy smoke wood is a plus too!

XL BGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SPRIGS said:
    SPRIGS said:

I know!!! Ha!! I have started using oak on all beef. Even using it combined with peach for pork. I love oak and it is readily available here so not having to buy smoke wood is a plus too!

I have a quarter cord of 2 year seasoned post oak beside my house. I won't use half of it in the fireplace this year so I'm set for post oak for a while. these guys supply a lot of the bbq places around here in the summer when residential business is slower.