Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo

Options
0oHUNTo0
0oHUNTo0 Posts: 34
So I'm thinking about doing my first turbo butt tomorrow. How do I do this? 350 dome till pork is 160 then foil? Looking for tips and a general gameplan.

Also, anyone make their own bbq sauce? Recipes?

Thanks!
Large BGE, DigiQ DX2

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I do 350 till done, no foil. Foiling will speed you through the stall. Use whatever rub you prefer.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I used to foil when I turbo, but no longer as the foil makes the bark mushy if there even is any bark at all! 350 indirect all the way to 200 works for me. No peek, no spritz, no nothin---if you're lookin you're not cookin
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    +3 on 350 till 200 IT. No foil, no peek. You'll have great bark and plenty juicy. Lots of successes posted here.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    +4 All good
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    +5  I agree 100 %
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    +6. No foil Open that egg up and let it eat some lump while you make pork!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    For sauce, I have been using a vinegar based sauce I found here on the forum.

2 Cups apple cider vinegar

2 TBS Molasses

1 TBS Dry Mustard

1/2 C Butter

1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper

1 TBS Worcestershire Sauce

1/2 C Brown Sugar

1/2 tsp Black Pepper

Stir all ingredients into a saucepan over medium heat.   Cook,stirring until  sugar is dissolved.

Don't boil.

Don't bother tasting it alone, you won't like it, but it is great in pulled pork.  Sauce the whole thing after you have pulled it.  Use your judgement as to how much.

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • grillingunner
    Options
    My first attempt at a butt was a turbo butt. Did not foil at all and cooked at about 350 to an internal temp of 200. It turned out great I thought. Rubbed with mustard and bad Byron's butt rub and the bark was excellent.
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Lookin good!! Now you won't have circles under your eyes from lack of sleep on the low n slow pork :D

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • s_austin_egger
    Options
    About how long would you give yourself to be confident you can hit 200IT when doing turbo at 350? I know it can vary significantly but best guess.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    My first attempt at a butt was a turbo butt. Did not foil at all and cooked at about 350 to an internal temp of 200. It turned out great I thought. Rubbed with mustard and bad Byron's butt rub and the bark was excellent.

I love the way everyone says "turned out great I thought". Hell yes it was great but you somehow feel you cheated and downplay a little. It was great period!!!!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    What kind of time with this turbo? 5 hours? I need to know. Thanks
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Buckdodger
    Options
    Did 2 8# butts turbo, took about 5 1/2 hrs butt I wrapped at 160*. That eggcelerates the stall. Will not wrap my next butt and I estimate 7 hrs maybe a little more to get to 200* int. As mentioned above wrapping makes the meat mushy.

Opelika, Alabama
  • 0oHUNTo0
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I'm going to give it a go.
    Large BGE, DigiQ DX2
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    So would you guys say this is just as good as an all-nighter butt???

I'm cooking up a butt tomorrow for a family holiday party, so on trying to decide. Never done a turbo before.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    JWBurns said:

So would you guys say this is just as good as an all-nighter butt???

I'm cooking up a butt tomorrow for a family holiday party, so on trying to decide. Never done a turbo before.

I think they are just as good. Ftc is important for turbo butt. I'm converted to turbo for ribs as well.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • 0oHUNTo0
    Options
    I will never go back. Turbo every time now.
    Large BGE, DigiQ DX2
  • SouthernSmokin
    Options
    I turbo'd two 7# butts last Sunday. Cooked indirect at a dome temp of 325 with the PS legs up and a dry drip pan underneath. One took about 6 hours and I pulled it at 195 IT then FTC for another 3 hours and I pulled the second one at 195 IT which took another 1.5 hours then FTC for about 1.5 hours. No foil, BB butt rub, nice bark on both and fall apart tender........
    1 BGE, 4 mouths to feed.....

Dothan, AL