Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st time Ribs - still not sure how I will cook them, so many methods...but probably 3-1-1

Well, have done a brisket and a couple of butts with my new LBGE.  Going to try ribs today, I think the 3-1-1 method seems like what I might try.  I haven't had time or finances to go buy a dual probe thermometer or Guru, so at this point look to dome thermometer and digital meat thermometer for my cooking.  Any thoughts of what dome temp I should cook at?  I was thinking about 270 dome temp.
Gregg
Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
Marietta, GA

Comments

• What cut of ribs are you cooking?  I usually cook St. Louis Spare ribs @ about 250.  They usually take around 5 hours on the egg.  I just rub them, put them on, and sauce them the last 15 minutes or so.  I don't wrap them in foil until they are done.  

I also don't use a thermometer.  I just use the bend test.  You pick the ribs up in the middle with a pair of tongs.  They are done if they fold over easily and are relaxed.  Sometimes they will even start to split.  
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    For baby back ribs I think 270 is a good target dome temp for the 3-1-1.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Just one more way to cook them. Baby Back Turbo Ribs (Sorry but I can't remember who I got this from.) 350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Mickey said:

Just one more way to cook them.
    Baby Back Turbo Ribs (Sorry but I can't remember who I got this from.)
    350 indirect for 1hr 40 min.
    Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs.
    Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood.

This is pretty much on point for me. I will often use different woods and rubs but everything else is the same. The only other way I do it is the Car Wash Mike method.
  • GreenhawK said:
    What cut of ribs are you cooking?  I usually cook St. Louis Spare ribs @ about 250.  They usually take around 5 hours on the egg.  I just rub them, put them on, and sauce them the last 15 minutes or so.  I don't wrap them in foil until they are done.  

I also don't use a thermometer.  I just use the bend test.  You pick the ribs up in the middle with a pair of tongs.  They are done if they fold over easily and are relaxed.  Sometimes they will even start to split.  
    Cut of meat, hmm guess I don't know much about cuts.  I was going to tell wifey to just get some baby back ribs when she goes to supermarket in a little while.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Just one more way to cook them. Baby Back Turbo Ribs (Sorry but I can't remember who I got this from.) 350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood.
    This is pretty much on point for me. I will often use different woods and rubs but everything else is the same. The only other way I do it is the Car Wash Mike method.
    You pull the membrane after cooking for an hour and 40 minutes?
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I'm with Mickey, though I usually cook a bit longer, 2.5 hours or so, and a little lower, 320, and I use his coffee rub. Did them a week ago and they were phenomenal. The smoke ring went almost to the bone (I know this doesn't make any difference, but it does an egger proud). 

I've done them slow and slow and wrapped, and I find no difference in the taste from the turbo. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @Mickey means to pull the membrane and then run the cook-and if you have to cut the rack to fit then another eggcellent finish indicator is to use a toothpick-insert into the meatiest part of the rib-no resistance in or out and you are finished.  BTW-it's my eggsperience that if you want to achieve "fall off the bone" ribs then you will have to foil during the tail-end of the cook.  FWIW-YMMV.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Mickey said:
    Just one more way to cook them. Baby Back Turbo Ribs (Sorry but I can't remember who I got this from.) 350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood.
    I am wondering what the advantage is to waiting to pull the membrane?  I usually pull it before they go on the egg.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• QDude
    In my opinion, we make some of these cooks much more difficult than needed.  Your temp of 270 should be fine.  I have always cooked indirect.  I put foil under any part of the ribs that hang out over the platesetter.  Although probably not needed, I spray the ribs every 30 minutes or so with apple juice.  When the bones start to be more revealed because the meat is pulling back, I wrap the ribs in foil and cover them in a concoction of bbq sauce, diced onion, honey, and spices.  I usually leave them in the foil for about an hour or until they pass the bend test.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited December 2013
    Ok.... I will rewrite it. Not the first time this came up. PULL and then cook. sorry..... :-?? Better? Baby Back Turbo Ribs (Sorry but I can't remember who I got this from.) 350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited December 2013
    Mickey said:
    Ok.... I will rewrite it. Not the first time this came up. PULL and then cook. sorry..... :-?? Better? Baby Back Turbo Ribs (Sorry but I can't remember who I got this from.) 350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood.

+ 1. It just don't get any easier than this.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • QDude
    Mickey said:

+1.  Bad Byron's is great.  So is the Simply Marvelous line of rubs.  Cherry and pecan go great with ribs.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Shoot the selection at grocery store wasn't very good so headed to Costco tomorrow morning to look there.  Is there a cut of ribs I should look for?  I saw St. Louis and I forget what else at store.  Also can I FTC the ribs for a while?  Just wondering if that's okay to do like it is for a Boston Butt.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Costco should have whatever cut you want - baby back, St. Louis, etc. At least mine does.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    At least 10 answers to be had, all of them right.  I rub then cook indirect at 300 until done - 3 hours for St. Louis ribs.  No foil, no spritz.  i sauce them for the last 15 minutes
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • But what cut should I get?  I know nothing about meats.  
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    All are good. I like St. Louis because they are the meatiest.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • I prefer St. Louis - a bit more meat on them, but they take a bit longer to cook. They can also be a bit harder to find in my experience.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    edited December 2013
    I like baby backs because they are the leanest, but I also get them extremely meaty from a butcher.I have foiled them for hours and even reheated them foiled with apple juice with no loss to the flavor or texture.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    If adventurous you can usually save some $$ by buying spares and then trimming them St. Louis style yourself.  Google the process, doesn't take much time or skill (I can do it).  Use the flap meat as cooks treats, or toss in beans or chili etc.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 3-1-1 is my favorite.  I wrap mine with beer and honey after they smoke for 3 hours.  I like a dome temp of 250.  Good luck and no matter what method you choose they will be great.

Oh and I am a baby back type.

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited December 2013
    @jwright11 Me too. 3-1-1 @ 250 grid indirect, (250-270 dome sounds about right) that's how I now do it, but haven't thought about it with beer...

"Shiner Bock Baby Back Ribs." I like the sound of that! Those would sell around these parts by just the name alone. That time, at that temp, with baby backs, will be pretty much can't-miss spot-on.

Anyways, super simple method and you can infuse the ribs with whatever broth/liquid/sauce you like in the foil. Somebody once mentioned cider. I pull the membrane and add rub before they first go on the grill. Membrane removal is easier the closer you bring the meat to room temp. I use a butter knife to start it, and a paper towel to grasp and pull it. I prefer dry rub ribs, no sauce. No spritzing required. The egg design and foil process keeps them plenty moist. You can add foil time and shorten the last hour if you want them really tender. Otherwise, that last hour is the where they seem to transition from bite tender to fall off the bone. Pull em at your preference. Keep the dome closed as much as possible to hold your temp stable. i.e. don't be a moron and fiddle around with the foiling process for 15 min somewhere while your dome is wide open. You'll stoke the coals and the temp will rise unnecessarily. Ask me how I know.

And Costco is awesome. Around here they sell prime packer briskets for under 3.00/lb. (gotta love Texas!) I just put my first attempt with using a prime on the grill right now. I hope I finally nail one.

Baby backs on the other hand are easy for me now. This was from my first attempt. Since then I've switched it up to what I mentioned above. The hardest part is resisting the urge to open the dome and check on things.
    Gittin' there...
  • Well got some nice looking St. Louis cut from Costco for $2.89/# and they are on the egg.  Only problem couldn't quite fit them all on the grate.  So, throwing the few extras in crockpot with some BBQ sauce.  My next eggcessory will be another grate attached to original grate on top with either bolts and washers or some similar method.  Was actually thinking about using some 1/2" cast iron nipples(pipes) and caps since I have some laying around.  Going to try them at 300 for 3 hours like cookinbob said, check for done-ness and then add sauce when they are done.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Holding steady at 300 dome temp.  I think I need to bump it up a little since dome is generally a little higher reading than at grate.  I am thinking seriously about a dual thermometer.  It would make cooking more accurate and carefree.  I like the looks of that maverick ET-733.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Well cooked for about 3 1/2 hours at 310ish dome temp.  I left them on a little long me thinks.  Was at 193 degrees in the meat when I covered with BBQ sauce for another 15 minutes.  I should have cooked maybe not quite as long or foiled it(3-1-1) like I was kind of planning to do, but they were okay.   I like Ribs okay, but really like chopped and pulled pork, and given the amount of prep and overall meat you get from Ribs, I think I will end up doing a lot more Butts than Ribs in the future.  

I must say this is egg stuff is kind of fun.  I am not even the normal BBQ cook, wifey does that normally.  I have just gotten into this a bit as it is all technical and what not and I am a computer geek by trade.  
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • QDude
    Try the ribs again.  Once you get it right you will love them.  Not sure why you are checking meat temp on ribs.  The true test or being done is either the toothpick test or the bend test.  Keep on trying!

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• I like to do ribs turbo style. 350 dome, 4 chunks of peach wood, indirect, drip pan with 50/50 apple juice and water in the drip pan. Remove membrane, yellow mustard and add favorite rub to both sides of the ribs. Cook flat on the grate 1 hour bone side down, 1 hour bone side up. The one hour flips seems to help with the even color of the ribs on each side. Mist with apple juice every 30 mins. After second hour check for pull back and bend test.  If they pass, sauce and enjoy. 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Doofus(if I can use your first name) you'll get 15 different methods on here and as Mickey says... They're all right. Just find the one that's right for you. One suggestion...When you cook ribs, experiment. One baby back and one St Louis rack. One with Dizzy Dust and the other with a homemade rub. One at 300 for 3 hrs and the other 1 hr and then foiled....you get the idea. Enjoy the journey.

Hen
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Here is my version. Use St Louis style ribs, remove the membrane. Now season with Dizzy Pig brand Dizzy Dust, or any other spice concoction you prefer. Cook indirect at 220 for four hours. Wrap ribs in foil and cook at 250 for 1 hour. By now the bone ends should be sticking out of the meat. Now lower grill to direct, crank up the heat and cook direct just enough to get a little char on the ribs. That's it, you should be able to pull the bone out of the meat with a little tug and the meat will be melt in your mouth tender.
    San Angelo, texas