Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best placement for an ambient temp probe

Options

I have a dual probe. Sometimes I have been hanging it from the daisy wheel, sometimes I clip it to the grid at meat level.  One hangs in the dome and the other is at the base of the meat- which in the case of a turkey or a big boston butt could be  several inches tall. So is over or under better? Talking indirect cooking.

Comments

• SoCal_Griller
    Options
    The idea behind the ambient temp probe is to measure the temp at grate level. The BGE dome temp is higher than the grate temp, at least initially. This is because heat rises and accumulates at the top. Placing the ambientrobe at the daisy wheel will cause a reading greater than or equal to the dome temp. So if you want a more accurate reading of the temp that the meat is cooking in, place it at the grate level.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • nappen
    Options
    Thanks, that is what I thought...and explains the LONG cook times when using the built in egg thermometer or hanging it from the daisy wheel :)