Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Mad max turkey question

Going to try and smoke a turkey tonight. I plan on doing it the mad max way. The only question I have is, do I need to take the turkey out of the fridge early?
Bluffton, SC LBGE, SBGE, Thermapen
·

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,952
    I remove the turkey from the fridge about 30-40 mins before putting it on the BGE.  During the last 20mins or so, I ice the breasts then start the cook.  Using the ice trick i can get the breast meat to the low 160's when the thighs are into the 180's.  BTW-position the legs to the back of the BGE-hotter back there due to the air-flow path.  FWIW-
    Louisville
    ·
  • Thanks for the help. I am looking forward to it.
    Bluffton, SC LBGE, SBGE, Thermapen
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,049
    Weneedpictures
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 995
    I did a 14 pounder yesterday using Mad Max's method.  Keep and eye on the skin color each time you baste.  When it looks nice and brown cover with foil.  I do the same as Lousubcap on the pre- egg timing and pointing the legs to the back of the egg.  I put it on at noon after icing the breasts and it was 165 in the breasts, 178 in the thighs by 5:15.  My temp was between 300 and 325 the whole time.  His gravy recipe is awesome!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

·
  • VERY gentle with the wine in the gravy. Start with 1/2 cup, taste then adjust as needed.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

·