Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small egg

My awesome mother in law got me a small egg to accompany my large. Now I just got to decide if I need to build a new table or just get a best to hold me over for now. Can you guys give me some ideas on when y'all use 2 eggs for one cook.

Comments

• I think you mean nest. I have a small in a nest and it is not very stable since it is so light. I have an XL and small and will be putting them both in one table.
    XL, large and small. Hartwell GA on beautiful Lake Hartwell.
  • awm
    awm Posts: 181
    Yes I meant nest
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I keep mine in a nest and have had no problems with it wanting to tip over but I'm on a concrete patio. FWIW & YMMV.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I have a large and small both still in the nest with no issues. For the 2 egg cook i have done meat on 1 with app on the other followed by sides when apps are done. This works well with low and slow cooks. I have done apps on both at the same time, one was indirect and the other direct. 2 egg cooks dont happen alot here but when i need to it is nice to have the capabilities.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    awm said:
    My awesome mother in law got me a small egg to accompany my large. Now I just got to decide if I need to build a new table or just get a best to hold me over for now. Can you guys give me some ideas on when y'all use 2 eggs for one cook.
    I have long said the perfect combo is a large and a small egg and I still firmly believe that! please don't get hung up that you have to have both going at the same time or' you shouldn't have two eggs! I have 4 eggs and only once had 3 going at the same time and never all 4!

As for a table vs. a nest here is a pix of my large and small in a table I made. Note the fold down work area on the side so I can still get a standard cover on my eggs. Also note the drawer under the small which serves as a riser and storage.

BTW YOU have a GREAT mother in law!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • awm
    I was looking at the naked whiz stainless steel cart and it seems pretty simple and it's cheaper than a nest
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    I just bought a small to go with my large I built it into a table but by spring I'm gonna weld up a portable nest to take places. Since it's only 77 lbs I'm not ginna put wheels on it just nice handles has to be stable
  • I would think that if you plan on taking it anywhere eventually you would want both a permanent home for it at the house and a nest or cart of some sort to use while camping, tailgating, traveling, etc. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • I have 2 LBGE one in a table and the other in a nest I like that set up the one in the nest is some what portable so I can wheel it around the yard of if it raining hard I can wheel it to my front porch where their is a roof over head 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • I'll be getting my small in Feb.  I want mine for portability so I'm hoping to get an Egg Carten for mine.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• As for cook ideas, I use the large and small whenever I need two different cooking zones. My wife does not eat mammal (she's a nurse, and has triaged too many accidents), so I'll generally have pig or beef on the large, and bird or fish on the small. For Christmas, I had prime rib on the large, going from 500 to 350, and a brined turkey breast on the small cooking at 240. Both for about 3 hours. It was great having multiple cooking zones. Had about 20 potatoes cooking on a third zone using my Traeger at 350 for about 1 1/2 hours.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • awm
    We'll I got lucky today and found a table and bge long table cover that's less than a year old for $20. I spent more on gas than I did the table. I never get on Craig's list but it sure paid off today
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Costco rolling cutting cart works great as a small holder.  About 60 bucks-
    Here it is with the cutting board set proper-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited December 2013
    allsid said:
    Costco rolling cutting cart works great as a small holder.  About 60 bucks-
    Here it is with the cutting board set proper-

Cool...but talk about a top heavy accident waiting to happen...and on a wooden deck besides. Be careful, my friend, be VERY careful!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Thjis is one of those Costco tables.  Cost right at $60 and jsut a few minutes with a reciprocating saw to notch out the top layer for the egg.  Very handy.
    001.JPG 74.7K
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I'm with @RRP - the high center of gravity on those Costco tables makes me nervous.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    caliking said:
    I'm with @RRP - the high center of gravity on those Costco tables makes me nervous.
    True-  but the shelving can be lowered in about 2" increments to bring the COG down.  Not a perfect solution, but it works much better than the ground or the shoddy quality of table I would build.  The lower shelf and side hanging hooks come in quite handy and it would work well as a traveling buddy-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    jaydub58 said:
    Thjis is one of those Costco tables.  Cost right at $60 and jsut a few minutes with a reciprocating saw to notch out the top layer for the egg.  Very handy.
      With mine set where it is, I have not noticed any COG problems at all as I roll it around my deck.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • RoySC
    RoySC Posts: 7
    I too am getting a small for Xmas.  Just have to go pick it up.   The Naked Whiz has a small cart on his website built with a rolling cart from Sam's.   www.nakedwhiz.com/smallcart/cartsmall.htm  Our local one has it.  I think I am going to give it a try.  Anyone built it?
  • awm
    This is the table I got for 20 bucks and they gave me a BGE cover with it.
  • awm wow thats a score the lumber alone cost more then $20.00 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • awm
    O yea I definitely got lucky. I would still like to build something portable for just when I needed it.

awm wow thats a score the lumber alone cost more then $20.00 

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I like to sear on the small and finish off cooking on my large. Here is a post from both of my eggs in action. A tribute to my ELF, Henapple! 

For Christmas I had a 11.5 lb ham on the small and a 14 lb turkey on the large, and saved that glorified timer in the kitchen for the sides. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • awm
    I was looking at some accessories and was wondering what's the purpose of the Woo? does it just raise the grid up a little bit
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Your are correct with the woo raising the grate. My woo stays in my small almost 100% of the time. I don't like trying to use a Spatchula down in that small hole. The woo also will hold a stone so you can cook indirect rather than buying a PS. It's really make reverse sear easy because you can lift the woo out and drop you grid back down on the fire. Best of both worlds IMO

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.