Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blew A Gasket!

Options
Tractor
Tractor Posts: 288
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Friday night, as my steaks were "dwelling" following a hi-temp sear, my attention was riveted by a very loud "fsssszzzzzzzz" similar that of a bottle rocket taking off. Turns out it was the sound of the felt gasket on my egg giving way and some kind of oxygen exchange taking place![p]QUESTION: Is it easily replaced? Can I do it myself? THANKS.

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Tractor,
    Answer to both questions. Yes!!

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Tractor,
    Call the BGE company in Atlanta. They have replacement felt. Be sure to clean off the old gasket before you put the new one on. Also make sure you don't have any of the new felt extending into the cooking chamber. It tends to fry in there.
    JimW

• Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Options
    JJ & Jim W--[p]Thanks for the help!
    Tractor

• chuckwagon
    chuckwagon Posts: 14
    Options
    Tractor,My gasket is on the way out also. I read in the forum once that only one side of the gasket was needed.My egg was glued shut once after cleaning it at high temps.The gasket was over a year old at the time. has anyone tried the one gasket???

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    chuckwagon, you may have been referring to my postings regarding the Rutland Products Grapho/glas fiberglas seals.
    These seals are approximately 3/8" thick and would equal two regular felt seals. So I recommended that only one side of the dome or the lower unit be replaced and nothing on the other side as there would be no need for it. So far its worked nicely according to those that have tried it as testors.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• chuckwagon
    chuckwagon Posts: 14
    Options
    Char-Woody,That must have been it. Any info on how I would get my hands on one. Thanks.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    chuckwagon,
    Call Egg Central -[p]BGE[p]1-888-929-3447
    1-800-939-3447
    Atlanta, GA[p]
    Tim

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Tim M,[p]I don't believe that BGE is selling the fiberglass furnace seals that C~W is talking about. I do know they sell the felt seals that come standard on the egg.[p]Z

• Zip
    Options
    !DGX.f.jpg
    <p />chuckwagon,[p]You can get the stove rope from Lehman's online at the link below. This is not the cheapest place to buy this material, but you can order online. I have seen it available at ACE Hardward, Lowes, Home Depot, and specialty fan and stove stores. Keep in mind at Lowes and Home Depot this will be a seasonal item, so it will not be available until cold weather. [p]On this page you can get glue as well for fixing those broken fireboxes. They have alot of other cool stuff and most items should ship a little faster since the Y2K scare is mostly over. [p]Z

[ul][li]Lehman's[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Zip, don't use the round..use the 3/8 x 5/8 inch flat material. There is also a high temp (2700F) cement. The round will create too much air space between the dome and lower unit resulting in fast deterioration of the material.
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Zip, BGE is currently testing the stuff as well as several fellas out in the field. It might be available thru them at some future date. There is also a self adhesive "rope" and all types are available in bulk drum lots.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Zip
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I understand what you are saying, but the small round works fine. I used the some 3/16" - 1/4" round and it works fine and actually flattened out very well. Put on two rings, one on the inner and one on the outer edge. Seems to be holding up pretty well, but it is on the bottom section. [p]Z

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Zip, good to hear the small round works well too. I think its the future seal for BGE in all its units. I agree, one surface is all thats needed. And this may help prevent sticking domes from dual felt seals.
    C~W[p]