Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions on my weekend cook

I was supposed to cook for my in-laws sunday but now the list has grown.  They were coming over in part for the Bears game and to see the grandkids Christmas haul...  now the wife's aunt and uncle and 2 kids are coming(teenagers)....

the plan was no formal dinner but just cook up some food and eat whenever during the game.  I originally planned on doing a couple of chickens but the menu has grown.

debating whether to do 6 racks of ribs and 2 spatched chickens or a couple of butts and a couple of chickens.  I don't want to do an overnight cook with a butt but haven't done a turbo but yet and hate to experiment.. 

at the same time the butts could be done plenty early if I did go  turbo and I can throw the chickens on almost when they get there...  I guess I could ftc the ribs as well?

any thoughts?  doesn't appear I have to do sides at this point in time

:|

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Ribs work - but you could do wings, pig shots, abt's, chicken bombs - all good finger foods

Garnerville, NY
  • Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    edited December 2013

I would do all chickens as a tribute to Jay Cutler:)

GO PACK!

:))
    XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • Do you have a dutch oven?  How about a big ol pot of chili or stew.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    no chili happening this weekend although I need to make some.  thought about an array of finger foods... I dunno- i'll see what looks tempting at Costco on the way home tonight
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Pork tenderloins are quick and make great sliders. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • XLBalco

decided to do 2 shoulders and 2 spatched chickens...

going to try and turbo them  mickey's way and hoping they finish a couple of hours early so I can throw the chickens on right after.  decided to make pig shots too.

go bears

• XLBalco

i'll be honest- I think the overnight shoulder cooks are over for me when preventable.  these turned out pretty awesome. about 20lbs worth I threw on about 6:30ish and they came off around noon.  bark was awesome as well.

foiled them til 4:30ish and pulled and still piping hot.  shoulders and butts really can be an easy cook as well as forgiving.  also did some chicken and pig shots. 

cooked way too much for the intended crowd and everyone took a doggie bag home with them.

• Great job, looks tasty.

North Texas

XL and Small BGE